The Importance of Jr. Hoilett

Tuscan

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Agreed. And moreover it feels this group still needs a bit of a technician. We have some many direct one-on-one guys, Hoilett would be a nice complement to that. 

He's also one of our few guys who've proved they can hang at the highest level. Scored some beauties in the premier league, and even recently, he scored and IIRC was our only offensive outlet versus Japan. Especially for Copa where there's probably a scenario where we can draw Peru and Chile and still advance, he's got as good a chance as anyone in our roster to score that late goal that gets us through. The more I think about it, the more I think he deserves a call.

On 5/12/2024 at 12:34 PM, toontownman said:

But Biello already did the gone but not forgotten video montage for the squad? 

funeral im back GIF

I'm feeling the montage was more of an explanation and preparation for the inevitable, not so much nailing the coffin.

Vitoria is certainly done.  Borjan is still top 5, maybe top 3 these days.  Hoilett still has plenty to offer.

10 hours ago, Corazon said:

But I also think Hoilett’s recent form is in large part to the quality of the league. 

Absolutely correct.  Larin would also be doing some serious damage in SPL.

It's tough to judge between someone not scoring but playing vs strong opponents in La Liga vs someone scoring at will in a lesser league.

6 minutes ago, Craig11rm said:

I seem to remember him having a good game against Celtic with Johnston defending him. Was it 2 assists? I would call him in. How many players would we be calling in that are 30+ years old? Him and Osorio? 

I was going to suggest that excluding Crepeau, the only other one is probably Piette, but dude is STILL remarkably in his 20s.

Turns 30 on Nov 12th. Wild. He's been around forever. 

39 minutes ago, Craig11rm said:

I seem to remember him having a good game against Celtic with Johnston defending him. Was it 2 assists? I would call him in. How many players would we be calling in that are 30+ years old? Him and Osorio? 

Do we call Choiniere over Osorio? I think it’s due time. 

8 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Do we call Choiniere over Osorio? I think it’s due time. 

I don't really see them as battling for the same role. I mean, they are both number 8s, and both can create plays, but they are kind of different profiles. Personally, I think Choniere should be included regardless of what's going on with Osorio, dependent on form, of course. 

Osorio and Hoilett I think should be competing for the same role, as that tempo setting CM. Choniere and Ahmed are more like the all-action/jack-of-all-trades type of CMs, and as of today I want both in our selection...

CM: Eustaquio, Kone, Ahmed, Choniere, Osorio/Hoilett, Piette/Fraser/Paton?

29 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I don't really see them as battling for the same role. I mean, they are both number 8s, and both can create plays, but they are kind of different profiles. Personally, I think Choniere should be included regardless of what's going on with Osorio, dependent on form, of course. 

Osorio and Hoilett I think should be competing for the same role, as that tempo setting CM. Choniere and Ahmed are more like the all-action/jack-of-all-trades type of CMs, and as of today I want both in our selection...

CM: Eustaquio, Kone, Ahmed, Choniere, Osorio/Hoilett, Piette/Fraser/Paton?

I struggle with this because I think Junior brings real maturity and experience and killer balls. 

I think because of the compactness of what Marsch wants to do we will have 3/4 midfielders no matter how we line up otherwise. And we just plain need bodies. 

But...

The advanced midfielder(s) will have to be part of the press (the others can can sometimes be rest defence sometimes but that's even less Junior).  Is he able and willing? Same with Osorio. 

He is one the intelligent players that Marsch talks about. 

6 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I struggle with this because I think Junior brings real maturity and experience and killer balls. 

I think because of the compactness of what Marsch wants to do we will have 3/4 midfielders no matter how we line up otherwise. And we just plain need bodies. 

But...

The advanced midfielder(s) will have to be part of the press (the others can can sometimes be rest defence sometimes but that's even less Junior).  Is he able and willing? Same with Osorio. 

He is one the intelligent players that Marsch talks about. 

I have the same questions. Maybe in that position there's less gound to cover, versus out on the wing where there is more space to cover, and where Davies, Buchanan, and the like will be doing their pressing. 

Just now, Obinna said:

I have the same questions. Maybe in that position there's less gound to cover, versus out on the wing where there is more space to cover, and where Davies, Buchanan, and the like will be doing their pressing. 

If he goes with the formation he did at Leeds, that was usually Aaronson's position and pressing was his biggest (sometimes only?) strength. 

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

If he goes with the formation he did at Leeds, that was usually Aaronson's position and pressing was his biggest (sometimes only?) strength. 

Yeah if he's looking for an Aaronson substitute it's not going to be Hoilett. 

Choniere on the other hand....

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Yeah if he's looking for an Aaronson substitute it's not going to be Hoilett. 

Choniere on the other hand....

It's again interesting because you can't really cookie cutter any of our guys into the Leeds roles he used, once he had his guys.  Adams and Roca as 6s and Aaronson as the 10.  Adams with a little bit of freedom do other things and Aaron did rotate with the other attackers but clearly defined roles. 

Eustaquio can do all of those roles well and will keep running but he's not a physical 6. Kone is going to have to buy in; Marsch's teams are not set up for wonder runs and goals.  Choinere benefits but where exactly.  Piette works if he is fast enough. Ahmed is quick but is his best trait his trickiness, carrying the ball rather than pass and move. 

But again, I am reminded he used 3 at the back when had a number of good centrebacks at Leipzig and he would only use one 6 when facing lower league teams in England.  So maybe he adjusts this. 

Got another assist yesterday vs Loturi's Ross County in a 2-2 draw. That's 8 assists in 14 matches and good enough for top 10 in the league. Also finished second on the squad in chances created with 31 and 3.4 per 90 which is ridiculous.

Here's the assist (and a missed pen by Bair unfortunately):

Aberdeen supporters with a resounding "One more year..." serenade for our man: 

13 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Got another assist yesterday vs Loturi's Ross County in a 2-2 draw. That's 8 assists in 14 matches and good enough for top 10 in the league. Also finished second on the squad in chances created with 31 and 3.4 per 90 which is ridiculous.

Here's the assist (and a missed pen by Bair unfortunately):

Aberdeen supporters with a resounding "One more year..." serenade for our man: 

He’s obviously left a strong impression in just 3 months of playing for the club.  He’s easily on my roster for Copa America despite being “old age”.

• 4 weeks later...