Which FC Edmonton players should/will move on?

Would people on here be happier with Porter playing in Edmonton, or sitting on the bench in Vancouver? As a Canadian soccer and Whitecaps fans, I think it is best that he stay in Edmonton for a while longer. Look at these guys: Porter, Hamilton, Saiko, Semenets. How many pro games have they really played? Let them get lots of minutes at a decent level and then we can talk about them moving on to bigger and better things.

I think it is safe to say that most of us are pleasantly surprised at Edmonton's on field success, especially the fact that it is coming off the backs of so many local and Canadian players. This is exactly what we need.

absolutely. This times 30000... I was psyched for FCE to start up, but seeing how the boys are doing, it's freaking exciting.

Regardless of how Porter or Hamilton do, or where thy end up, I'm just gla they're here this year helping the club and developin Canadian soccer.

absolutely. This times 30000... I was psyched for FCE to start up, but seeing how the boys are doing, it's freaking exciting.

Regardless of how Porter or Hamilton do, or where thy end up, I'm just gla they're here this year helping the club and developin Canadian soccer.

Yeah +. and we also got the Best Mascot in the whole Darn league!

"Who needs Mariniho we got Bugsy you Know!"

• 2 weeks later...
The ESG has been discussing this very topic over at our forum and the consensus seems to suggest that Kyle Porter and Paul Hamilton are the two most likely to move on within a year or two.

Hamilton was already with the Whitecaps for 2 seasons with their PDL progam!

FC Edmonton seems to be the best news in an otherwise terrible year for Canadian soccer. The biggest issues facing Canadian MLS clubs is finding cost effective Canadian talent and spots for youth players that are too good for semi-pro, yet not good enough for MLS yet. FCE seems to be doing a good job of giving young Canadian players playing time to develop and if a few go on to MLS careers that’s in the best interest for everyone.

Many kids have fallen through the cracks over the years; Shaun Saiko is an example of a guy whom 5-10 years ago would have retired at age 21. He seems to be playing well for FCE and could have a future at a higher level ahead of him. I hope that more second tier Canadian teams will follow the example by FCE and hopefully more of our young players have opportunities if they are not ready for MLS yet or Europe doesn’t work out for them.

Archived