Which FC Edmonton players should/will move on?

FC Edmonton has been playing astonishing well lately, thanks in large part to it's core of young Canadians. But in world football today, young talent doesn't stay at home for very long. I'm not saying that Barca will be inquiring about anyone, but surely some MLS teams that are *ahem* struggling right now would be interested. Perhaps some clubs in the second or third tier leagues of Europe might be snooping around. So which players do you see moving on to bigger and better things? Which players should look to move on?

FC Edmonton has been playing astonishing well lately, thanks in large part to it's core of young Canadians. But in world football today, young talent doesn't stay at home for very long. I'm not saying that Barca will be inquiring about anyone, but surely some MLS teams that are *ahem* struggling right now would be interested. Perhaps some clubs in the second or third tier leagues of Europe might be snooping around. So which players do you see moving on to bigger and better things? Which players should are ready to move on?

So both Vancouver and TFC will raid FCE for talent? ;)

So both Vancouver and TFC will raid FCE for talent? ;)

Vultures! JK.

TFCReg., do you really think that TFC and VWC are too good to consider poaching some NASL talent? I'm glad TFC and VWC can hold on to the feeling of superiority they took from beating their NASL counterparts, but c'mon? The Eddies' have been turning a lot of heads this season and, should the likes of young players like Saiko, Porter, Hamilton and Suprenant continue to progress, I'd expect they'd at least be looked at by MLS squads.

VWC let Porter go to make room for some real rubbish. I think that Salinas is an example of an "MLS player" who is way overrated. I think Porter is the better wide player for sure and if VWC don't still control his rights, then I'm sure he'll get his chance on a bigger stage, somewhere else.

Like Strobe_z mentioned, the ESG has discussed this. I think there is a fair bit o pride going on though and all the MLS talk for Barbara means we're anxious to see our own players become more successful. I think both Hammy and Porter need to gain a solid footing in this level before moving on. Who knows though, FCE hasnt announced the length of any contracts so we could have them signed for a few months or several years. I'm hopeful that we'll see both back for at least one more year.

Vultures! JK.

VWC let Porter go to make room for some real rubbish. I think that Salinas is an example of an "MLS player" who is way overrated. I think Porter is the better wide player for sure and if VWC don't still control his rights, then I'm sure he'll get his chance on a bigger stage, somewhere else.

Salinas is more than willing to play for $40k. Porter was not.

This was the major "talking point" when Porter left the Caps - he wasn't prepared to take the MLS entry level contract (around 40k). It sounded at the time that the Caps couldn't put him on a higher salary, due to MLS roster rules I gathered, and so he asked to be allowed to trial with other teams that could potentially pay him more than they could under MLS rules. No idea if he in fact does make more right now, though. Anyone know?

I doubt very much that Porter is making the money the Caps put on the table. And hopefully he's learned something along the way. Fair play to him, it sounds like he's doing well at FCE. However, this epsiode with VWFC was not the first time his ego interfered with his career.

Salinas who, first of all, would rip a new arsehole out of the NASL -evident by the fact that he regularly beats MLS fullbacks making a lot more than his 40k- has never once *****ed about his salary publicly even though anyone who has watched him play on a regular basis would tell you that he's vastly underpaid.

I've been loudly advocating more Canadian content on the Caps over on the SS board, but the young Canucks need to help themselves in this endeavour and not be so bloody cocky about what they should be earning just because they went on loan to Germany for half an hour. The reality of MLS is that if you want a successful domestic career, you're probably going to have to start at a low wage.

I doubt very much that Porter is making the money the Caps put on the table. And hopefully he's learned something along the way. Fair play to him, it sounds like he's doing well at FCE. However, this epsiode with VWFC was not the first time his ego interfered with his career.

Salinas who, first of all, would rip a new arsehole out of the NASL -evident by the fact that he regularly beats MLS fullbacks making a lot more than his 40k- has never once *****ed about his salary publicly even though anyone who has watched him play on a regular basis would tell you that he's vastly underpaid.

I've been loudly advocating more Canadian content on the Caps over on the SS board, but the young Canucks need to help themselves in this endeavour and not be so bloody cocky about what they should be earning just because they went on loan to Germany for half an hour. The reality of MLS is that if you want a successful domestic career, you're probably going to have to start at a low wage.

Salinas has scored 3 goals in 73 MLS games and he would "rip a new arsehole out of the NASL"? I highly doubt it. I think Porter is the better player of the two and I imagine he is at least making a similar salary to what the Caps offered him. He is getting a lot more playing time than he probably would have in Vancouver, getting superior coaching and probably has a lot more freedom at the end of the year to find a new club if he has that opportunity so I doubt he is really regretting the move.

Salinas has scored 3 goals in 73 MLS games and he would "rip a new arsehole out of the NASL"? I highly doubt it. I think Porter is the better player of the two and I imagine he is at least making a similar salary to what the Caps offered him. He is getting a lot more playing time than he probably would have in Vancouver, getting superior coaching and probably has a lot more freedom at the end of the year to find a new club if he has that opportunity so I doubt he is really regretting the move.

+1

The sands of time run dry. Empires rise and fall. Man will return to dust and players will come and go at will.

To that end FCE have started this year well with a good roster and some stand-outs, who look like they are indeed turning heads. I'd rather not see them cherry picked, by Canadian Sides, as they will all a sudden by talked out as new TFC/ VW/ MI prospects, as if Edmonton does not exist, or is consigned to been spoken of as a farm team. But that's a beef I have with the Canadian Media (as most of us probably have) not the MLSers fault.

All I hope is that, like in the English Lower leagues, the club has written in good release clauses which continue to earn the club money (and pay back the Faths) once a player choses to move on.

FCE and IMFC combined have two MLS goals on their current rosters. The former NASL defender of the year and the former USL goalkeeper of the year can't get a game on a last place MLS club and Kyle Porter is better than a starting RW? Grizzly, you are going to have a rough year next year. You should start supporting FCE.

FCE and IMFC combined have two MLS goals on their current rosters. The former NASL defender of the year and the former USL goalkeeper of the year can't get a game on a last place MLS club and Kyle Porter is better than a starting RW? Grizzly, you are going to have a rough year next year. You should start supporting FCE.

By that logic you should have already switched your allegiance to FCE this year.

I should also mention that your vaunted starting RW has only recently been starting for that same last place MLS club. He is also starting one of the weakest positions on the club because the Caps have been trying lots of guys in that position. The position is vacant because the intended starting right wing, John Thorrington, is injured. The only one who really impressed playing here was Teibert not Salinas. Now the other guys you mention who can't "get a start" also happen to be playing in positions in which the competition is much stronger. Nevertheless, Nolly still has more minutes this year than Salinas and Janicki hasn't played that much less than him either.

If Montreal goes into MLS with NDS as manager then I fully agree we will have a rough year and can join the club of sh-it Canadian MLS teams.

Vultures! JK.

TFCReg., do you really think that TFC and VWC are too good to consider poaching some NASL talent? I'm glad TFC and VWC can hold on to the feeling of superiority they took from beating their NASL counterparts, but c'mon? The Eddies' have been turning a lot of heads this season and, should the likes of young players like Saiko, Porter, Hamilton and Suprenant continue to progress, I'd expect they'd at least be looked at by MLS squads.

Salinas may be overrated, but he is still a good player. There are certainly alot worse in the MLS when you consider guys like Gargan and Peterson. Salinas holds onto the ball well, makes decent runs, and passes well.

Granted, Porter probably is better.

I'm not trying to rag on Porter. He is obviously an MLS calibre player as he was offered an MLS contract. I would question his attitude in the past and mention that he has stated he'd play for Jamaica. Also, he attended camp with the Caps and competed against Salinas and was rated well behind him on the depth chart.

I won't try to represent Salinas again, as I really don't care one way or the other. My point -which may have been too expressive- is that there are these American guys like Salinas who are perfectly content to play for $40k. Then you get a guy like Porter, and Gage too, and some others, who go through our academy system and then balk at the contract waiting for them on the other side. How are the academies ever going to work if this is the player's attitude?

It's embarrassing when I bring somebody to the Caps and they open up the program and inevitably say "these guys are all American!" I think as Voyageurs we all understand this and want more Canadians playing in our top domestic league. We've blamed the clubs and the league many times, but I'm beginning to think that the players should accept their own share of blame. These American guys who are usually 2-3 years older coming out of college are willing to sign for the minimum because they realize that MLS is a developmental league that is giving them a chance to *play* professionally at a decent level and showcase what they can do. Salinas is a great example of this.

Just some other random points:

-Thorrington is a central midfielder was never slated to play on the right for us

-Teibert has been used exclusively on the left

-Porter would have had a Dutch manager playing for the PDL side, where he would have seen most of his minutes

Vultures! JK.

I don't see anyone on FCE who could start in MLS. Paul Hamilton has major potential but has to put some muscle on his frame.

^True, but they also got him a generation adidas deal, which I think they can only do twice per year. I guess in retrospect they should have offered that to Porter too, although they may still sign Alderson this year once the PDL schedule winds down.

Yup I think that second spot has Alderson's name all over it

I don't see anyone on FCE who could start in MLS. Paul Hamilton has major potential but has to put some muscle on his frame.

Well, I never said that these players (Saiko, Porter, Hamilton and Suprenant) would walk into the starting XI of TFC or VWC, but I think they would merit a look - based on their youth and the good form that they've shown this year. I'm not claiming they're world-beaters, but some of the Vs are too caught up in the fact that NASL is tier II...the league is def. capable of unearthing/polishing some gems. I would expect that the Canadian clubs would be the first to take notice.

I realize the Porter/Salinas comparison is not totally fair, considering Porter was offered a contract w/ Vancouver. I have no idea how much the Eddies are paying him. I sort of picked Salinas, as a semi-random example, b/c he is a MLS player (I think he's on his 4th MLS club) and has not impressed me at all. I'm pulling for VWC to do well, and I too wish they had more Canadian content - so it annoys to see a lesser player (IMO) signed to fill a role that a Canadian, who was with that club, could fill.

Well, I never said that these players (Saiko, Porter, Hamilton and Suprenant) would walk into the starting XI of TFC or VWC, but I think they would merit a look - based on their youth and the good form that they've shown this year. I'm not claiming they're world-beaters, but some of the Vs are too caught up in the fact that NASL is tier II...the league is def. capable of unearthing/polishing some gems. I would expect that the Canadian clubs would be the first to take notice.

I realize the Porter/Salinas comparison is not totally fair, considering Porter was offered a contract w/ Vancouver. I have no idea how much the Eddies are paying him. I sort of picked Salinas, as a semi-random example, b/c he is a MLS player (I think he's on his 4th MLS club) and has not impressed me at all. I'm pulling for VWC to do well, and I too wish they had more Canadian content - so it annoys to see a lesser player (IMO) signed to fill a role that a Canadian, who was with that club, could fill.

I just don't see Porter being more than a good poacher, and MLS is a strange league; it's not very technical and the positioning is awful, but the intensity level and constant man-to-man pressure demands starting strikers be able to create goals from nothing. Porter just isn't that guy.

But I can certainly see any number of these guys being depth at that level and, as I said, I think Hamilton could eventually start at a higher level if he bulks up. He reads the game really, really well, which is the difference between top of MLS and bottom (keeping in mind we're talking salary swings that go all the way from ($5-M Thierry Henry types to $42,000 a year journeymen.) Saiko reads the game OK too, but makes rash decisions.

Archived