Toronto FC vs. Motagua - July 27th @BMO Field

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucky TFC, that golden chance missed by Motagua at 84 minutes... they are really rusty! On the other hand, how many chances TFC missed as well? in the first half, it was O'Brian White, then Peterson in the second half. Is it going to enough at the end of the second leg match?

MOTM = Nane

Man did he look good out there.

They must have used some strange angles for the tv broadcast. He improved in the 2nd half but the entire section I was sitting in the stands was praying he would get taken off at half-time - I think he caused about 4 cardiac arrests in my row alone with the number of attempted giveaways and over-dwelling on the ball he did. As it was it turned out to be a half decent move to keep him on since he improved and getting Usanov off (who is poor at man-marking and would have gotten eaten alive by Izaguirre in the 2nd half) was the bigger priority.

I hope Mista is fit enought to start next week, as TFC will need him to help keep possession, the number one thing they need to address at the moment. If they chase the ball the entire game they will get tired again and eventually capitulate.

Re: De Guzman, other than being critical of his finishing (never what he's known for) I'm not sure what there was to be critical of. He is way better at keeping possession than most of his teammates, and keep in mind for the National team and in Spain he was used to playing with players who understand the need to make themselves available to receive a pass when he has the ball. Other than DeRo and Mista, too many of his TFC teammates will stand and look to Julian to beat three or four players or launch it down the field instead of making themselves available for a pass and I think it hurts his effectiveness, as well as the teams. Having said that, I thought he had one of his better games today and look forward to seeing him, DeRo and Mista play together more often.

This wasn't a great result for TFC. Especially when you consider that the opposition was in their off-season. Going into Honduras only up 1-0 is not ideal and plus they whiffed on sure goal late in the game so it could have been a draw.

I also have to agree about the attendance. it wasn't poor by most standards in Canada and the US but by TFC standards it was poorly attended. You could not have asked for a more ideal night and time for a soccer game. 8PM start so most people had time to go home and head over and avoid rush hour traffic. The weather was absolutely prestine for a soccer game. About 25 degrees no wind what so ever. The south end was full and there were patches that were packed full in the rest of teh stadium but areas in the main stands in the middle of the pitch areas were visibly empty. The new north stand was mostly empty. My guess is that there were 16-17 thousand fans and to me that's disappointing because I view CL as more prestigious than your run of the mill MLS regular season game. Personally winning CL would be a bigger deal than winning MLS cup because of what lies at the end of the line. But from what we've learned tonight, a lot of people may be oblivious to the prestige of various soccer trophies and competitions. Perhaps there is still that north american pro sports mindset out there. I cant understand how MLS titles can give you greater bragging rights than a good run in CL

TFC had so many good scoring chances that just didn't convert to a goal, and why so many empty seats?

Difficult to say - the game wasn't part of the season ticket package and I'm not sure if some of the less knowledgeable season ticket holders were in awe enough of the prospect of a Honduran club opponent or the Champions league to want to spend more money on another game, especially for the third home game in less than a week. The media also didn't exactly hype this game up for the general sporting public outside TFC's season ticket holder reach.Then again, it was still a crowd of 18,000 and change, which isn't all that bad.

Re: De Guzman, other than being critical of his finishing (never what he's known for) I'm not sure what there was to be critical of. He is way better at keeping possession than most of his teammates, and keep in mind for the National team and in Spain he was used to playing with players who understand the need to make themselves available to receive a pass when he has the ball. Other than DeRo and Mista, too many of his TFC teammates will stand and look to Julian to beat three or four players or launch it down the field instead of making themselves available for a pass and I think it hurts his effectiveness, as well as the teams. Having said that, I thought he had one of his better games today and look forward to seeing him, DeRo and Mista play together more often.

Yeah, I am seeing more and more stronger play from deGuzman. So I dont see what the criticism is all about. The one thing i noticed is that he doesn't strike the ball well but then again, I dont think that he was ever a player who was ever given set piece duties to begin with. Even when he was in Europe.

I am seeing him take more and more control in MF and and we are seeing more and more of his wizzardry with the ball.

This wasn't a great result for TFC. Especially when you consider that the opposition was in their off-season. Going into Honduras only up 1-0 is not ideal and plus they whiffed on sure goal late in the game so it could have been a draw.

On the other hand, that chance only came out of a brutal phantom-foul call against TFC to begin with, so I think justice was probably served by their awful whiff. And it's not like TFC didn't squander their fair share of chances. Granted though, I would have liked another goal, but the most thing was to win and not concede.

Yeah, I am seeing more and more stronger play from deGuzman. So I dont see what the criticism is all about. The one thing i noticed is that he doesn't strike the ball well but then again, I dont think that he was ever a player who was ever given set piece duties to begin with. Even when he was in Europe.

I am seeing him take more and more control in MF and and we are seeing more and more of his wizzardry with the ball.

I thought De Guzman played well tonight also. Should have scored on the chance in the first half, though I would rather he drill it low then sky it over the bar like he tends to do when he is feeling the pressure to score. I think back to the goal he scored against Jamaica in World Cup Qualifying. Hit it hard, put it on target, and good things will happen.

On second thought Maybe the TFC attendance should be viewed as great. Turn on GOL now and see the LA-PR game. WOW! now that's what I call sparse

No doubt.

I expect that the actual group stage will be a much easier sell. Not that TFC should feel lucky being drawn into Group A (should they make it). Yikes. Just that when CCL play proper comes to town I expect the TFC regulars will be much more involved.

Shame that TFC decided to do things the hard way, but still. A win is a win and the pressure is on the Hondurans.

Archived