TFC vs Sounders

tmcmurph

To me that's on the same level as some guy rolling around on the ground faking injury. It's finding a way to play dirty that's within the rules. I don't particularly think it's sporting or like to see it.

I've always thought Canada in particular should do more of it on the International scene, I've seen us lose games because of how the rest of the teams in the CONCACAF employ it all the time. If refs aren't gonna do anything or give cards out for simulation, why should we suffer just for some ego boosting morale that at least we win/lost the right way.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't get to see the match so I'm watching it later on GolTV replay but good to see TFC got all 3 points from a home game against a very tough opponent. Hopefully that will give them some confidence knowing they CAN compete with teams in the top half of the league. Time to put some distance between themselves and the weaker teams.

6 points out of 15 is still 40% so not too shabby. Considering the start to the season this is a good thing to see. Nice to see it was Nana & Adrian holding down the center of the defense again. The more they play together the better they will play together.

Hey you have more than one goal scorer on the team now! That only took 5 games but hopefully a sign of things to come. Montreal is probably plotting their "stop DeRo" strategy so if I were Preki I'd rest him for the first half on Wednesday just to mess with their minds.

I've always thought Canada should do more of it, I've seen us lose games because of how the rest of the teams in the CONCACAF employ it all the time. If refs aren't gonna do anything or give cards out for simulation, why should we suffer just for some ego boosting morale that at least we win/lost the right way.

I always thought we did ok in that regard, our teams are usually gritty but not talented with the slight exception of a few squads we've had lately. The CONCACAF refs are just so soft that any grey area meant we were playing down a man.

IMO what we've always needed is more pressure up top to complement our possession play. Then we're giving the other team less time to set up shop and we get to test their defenders more who are usually the shakiest part of their teams.

Mr. mcmurph, you can just skip the first half of this one, it was nothing special. The second half, on the other hand, featured the rare scene of TFC absolutely commanding the pitch and controlling the ball movement beautifully. We'd best have someone record this game and store it somewhere so 50 years from now we can come back to watch it and think, "geez, they really did have at least one game where they ran the action..." :P

JDG looked brilliant in the second half, and his first half performance wasn't too bad either. DeRo once again plays out of his skin. I was surprisingly disappointed with the removal of Barrett in the second half. I thought he was far out-performing White. Does OBW have acceleration issues or something? He seemed extremely lazy and uninvolved out there until that counter attack where DeRo gifted him the goal. Not impressed by his performance whatsoever. Nana and Adrian were solid at the back. TFC's new defensive mantra should be "Yes We Cann!" He is probably the best acquisition they've made this season. Saric is straddling the line of being an on-field liability, especially when picking up yellows so soon in the first half. His tackle on Ljungberg should have at least been a yellow. I'd go as far as saying that he could have been ejected for that one, it was ferocious.

I'm really enjoying Gargan's play when he's out on the field. The guy has great positional-sense and can hold on to and distribute the ball quite well. He's also a great tackler. I was surprised that he didn't start, but if he can put in performances off the bench consistently like he did today, he could become a power sub for the season.

I noticed that as well. But he played an excellent game, his best of the season by far.

MOM goes to Frei.

Agree with everyone about Saric.

Yes, he showed today he is the most skilled and talented player TFC has. However, I'm still worried about his speed, I don't remember him running like this before.

About Saric, yes, his game is poor. Preki should give Gala a chance in the starting XI instead, I like his play, he showed positive things the 10 minutes he played.

I watched the NBC Seattle broadcast of the game (as an aside, only the play by play guy, no colour commentator...something I prefer in soccer broadcasting) and Schmid was interviewed during the play early in the first half (a bit of a twist!) and one thing they wanted to do tactically was to get Nyassi 1 v 1 on the right against the Latvian. However, I thought TFC did a good job of making sure their LB was not exposed and always had defensive support from the midfield. Not sure if it was only LaBrocca or Saric or both in turn (I haven't watched my recording yet) but the threat was nullified so that was a good countermeasure tactically.

I liked Toronto's patience against a good road opponent. Though they were done in by two giveaways (Alonso, then Marshall late) the Sounders were generally compact back there and hard to break down. In particular, I liked Marshall's CB partner. However, the game's complexion could have changed drastically when in the middle of the first half Evans completely eluded Attakora but barretted that free header, so the game remained tied (Attakora also lost his mark on an earlier corner, but fortunately the TFC that opportunity was also missed).

Cann has done well: he's dominant in the air and though he has been criticized for his play on the ball, big deal? He's done what he's been asked to do in a no-frills manner, so good for him. I hope he keeps it going.

With Usanov, Saric, and His..Lativan guy out there, this team should be topping the league charts in bookings very soon.

Think I'll go watch my CBC recording of the match.

Turns out Seattle were the right opponent at the right time, I'm sure everyone involved with TFC is very releaved with the outcome. Things could have ended very differently for TFC if it weren't for young Mr Frei.

Not to throw water on todays result by being overly critical but since we're getting the feel for how Preki has this team training to attack can someone explain to me how it is again that a player like Ali G doesn't fit into TFC's plans? Looks exactly the sort of player they were missing up front today.

Boy, Attakora has some training up to do but seems well enough to be worth sticking with at this point. Cann is the best money Trader Mo has spent, ever. And comes not a moment too soon. Surround him with a more mobile crew and he does just fine, thank you. More than fine.

Actually impressed with DDR's mettle. Getting that something extra in his gut which makes a player competitive. The sort of "cranky" competitive every great player has. Glad to see it. It'll take him to new heights if he can hold onto it.

I watched the NBC Seattle broadcast of the game (as an aside, only the play by play guy, no colour commentator...something I prefer in soccer broadcasting) and Schmid was interviewed during the play early in the first half (a bit of a twist!) and one thing they wanted to do tactically was to get Nyassi 1 v 1 on the right against the Latvian. However, I thought TFC did a good job of making sure their LB was not exposed and always had defensive support from the midfield. Not sure if it was only LaBrocca or Saric or both in turn (I haven't watched my recording yet) but the threat was nullified so that was a good countermeasure tactically.

I liked Toronto's patience against a good road opponent. Though they were done in by two giveaways (Alonso, then Marshall late) the Sounders were generally compact back there and hard to break down. In particular, I liked Marshall's CB partner. However, the game's complexion could have changed drastically when in the middle of the first half Evans completely eluded Attakora but barretted that free header, so the game remained tied (Attakora also lost his mark on an earlier corner, but fortunately the TFC that opportunity was also missed).

Cann has done well: he's dominant in the air and though he has been criticized for his play on the ball, big deal? He's done what he's been asked to do in a no-frills manner, so good for him. I hope he keeps it going.

With Usanov, Saric, and His..Lativan guy out there, this team should be topping the league charts in bookings very soon.

Think I'll go watch my CBC recording of the match.

Latvian Guy...also known as Alphabet Soup...I wonder if we'll ever learn to spell or say his name properly.

Mr. mcmurph, you can just skip the first half of this one, it was nothing special. The second half, on the other hand, featured the rare scene of TFC absolutely commanding the pitch and controlling the ball movement beautifully. We'd best have someone record this game and store it somewhere so 50 years from now we can come back to watch it and think, "geez, they really did have at least one game where they ran the action..." :P

JDG looked brilliant in the second half, and his first half performance wasn't too bad either. DeRo once again plays out of his skin. I was surprisingly disappointed with the removal of Barrett in the second half. I thought he was far out-performing White. Does OBW have acceleration issues or something? He seemed extremely lazy and uninvolved out there until that counter attack where DeRo gifted him the goal. Not impressed by his performance whatsoever. Nana and Adrian were solid at the back. TFC's new defensive mantra should be "Yes We Cann!" He is probably the best acquisition they've made this season. Saric is straddling the line of being an on-field liability, especially when picking up yellows so soon in the first half. His tackle on Ljungberg should have at least been a yellow. I'd go as far as saying that he could have been ejected for that one, it was ferocious.

I'm really enjoying Gargan's play when he's out on the field. The guy has great positional-sense and can hold on to and distribute the ball quite well. He's also a great tackler. I was surprised that he didn't start, but if he can put in performances off the bench consistently like he did today, he could become a power sub for the season.

I think we'll see Gargan and Cronin in for the Canadian Cup. We have a lot of games over the next stretch and Preki seems to be interested in deploying a rotational lineup in order to get results.

Not to throw water on todays result by being overly critical but since we're getting the feel for how Preki has this team training to attack can someone explain to me how it is again that a player like Ali G doesn't fit into TFC's plans? Looks exactly the sort of player they were missing up front today.

Really? Before he scored his goal, I thought OBW had taken a page of Ali G. textbook of how to play up forward. Gerba isn't known for his capacity to hold the ball up front and that's what was missing today for TFC. Usually OBW and Barrett do a decent job at that but they were poor today.

This might make me unpopular but MLS is what really matters. If I were Preki I'd use the Montreal game to give 3 or 4 fringe players playing time given there are three games in six days.

I disagree here. IMO the NCC should be taken seriously because it gives you a chance to be involve in a tournament with the best team in the region. Qualifying for that kind of tournament should always be your primary target.

I also wonder what is the general feeling among the fans about this.

Oh these effen b*****es.

I was fighting my way to the game and tried every short cut.Finally ended on Keele street.We all know except me the Donny was closed.Anyway looking at my watch it was like twenty minutes to go never mind the parking etc.I think I am a traffic rat but never expected these b****es to cut me of twice.The third time while I got closer I hunked my horn and gave them my finger,guess what they had a TFC shirt and scarf.I hunked my horn and showed my scarf,well they were not impressed and gave me the finger,than I realized I have very tinted windows and never saw my scarf.These b****es were great drivers and I guess they were soccer players.

Never made it to the game on the bottom of Keele a mess going East,so ended up at my sons in Oakville.The game well my boys from Scarborough and my nemesis Dwayne came through again and am I happy and bet you could even kiss them.What a great time to win and even deserved to win,pure heart and sole stuff and I guess all these guys and my two crazy girls drivers were the ones whose support mattered.So thanks guys and these two girls .In fact it was a many thousands team efford.Yes things are turning around and I can't wait for wednesday.Some warm up match,bring on the Maniacs.

TFC's best game of the year, particularly the 2nd half when they got up a goal. That's isn't saying much mind you, and the pre-season predictions that this team will be one that is very defensive (even at home) and attempt to grind out results is coming true. Both goals scored off Seattle mistakes, though both were well taken. I shudder to think what will happen if De Ro gets injured - TFC has 6 goals this year, he's scored 5 and assisted on the other. Still I like the idea of playing him in behind the two strikers. The only thing is that I'd prefer De Guzman in the middle and La Brocca out wide, rather than the reverse. De Guzman isn't really a winger. He had his best game so far this year, as did The Latvian - a feel a lot more comfortable about that signing after today's game (the fact that he wasn't going in with ridiculous slide tackles alone made it an improved performance - now we need Usanov and Saric to figure this out).

Cann, being tall and athletic (he looks like he could compete for Canada at Decathlon in the Olympics), is a marked improvment over Garcia in that area (though Nick sets the bar pretty low, to be fair) but perhaps is more effective for TFC than he would be for the Canadian nats because there's a bit more lobbing of the ball in the air in MLS than against the Central American or Carribbean teams that play the ball on the ground, and Cann wins pretty much everything in the air. Nana's also pretty good in this respect, so it forces opponents to play the ball on the ground, and while TFC is lacking in offensive flair with this line-up, they have been fairly compact defensively (there's been the occasional lapse, but they are diminishing as the team gets to know their teammates a bit better), making it more difficult for teams to do that. While Saric is still a bit too thug-like for my liking and was lucky not to be sent off (although a Seattle player who decked The Latvian off-the-ball was even luckier - don't know if this was picked up on the tv broadcast), I can see now why Preki likes him as he sits in front of the back four and makes it a bit trickier to get through.

TF I can see now why Preki likes him (Saric) as he sits in front of the back four and makes it a bit trickier to get through.

He's like Kevin Harmse with a more exotic passport (Argentine-Croat as opposed to South African-Canadian). My concern is the same one I had about Sanyang after (interestingly enough) the Seattle road match last year: he might come under more ref scrutiny and a red card emerges where it wouldn't have earlier. When he first came on the scene I was hoping he'd be more of a distributor type (kind of like the holding mid I watched play for Pachuca against the Galaxy a couple of years ago) but he looks to be a pure destroyer type and not much with the passing game, a Diego Simeone without any offensive nous.

You're right, this team looks like it will be grinding out results either at home or away. But I really liked how they kept the ball in the latter stages and forced the Sounders to chase the game.

As an aside, do you (or anyone else) know what the word is on the field? It looks a pretty compact pitch and didn't seem to chew up in the rain. Not sure what studs the guys were wearing but they were a number of slips. Is it a harder than usual natural surface?

I disagree here. IMO the NCC should be taken seriously because it gives you a chance to be involve in a tournament with the best team in the region. Qualifying for that kind of tournament should always be your primary target.

I also wonder what is the general feeling among the fans about this.

Never said anything about not taking the game seriously. The ability to use 3 or 4 fringe players when you have 3 games in 6 days (with the last one at altitude in Utah) is what you have 24 players on the roster for. It should be possible to do it without a drastic drop in quality of performance. The sort of thing I have in mind is Conway for Frei and starting Peterson and Cronin out wide in the midfield. Sanyang if fit could potentially step in for Saric as well but I wouldn't mess with the spine of the team too much. Only if things were going well would DeRosario and JDG potentially be subbed off from midway through the second half onwards, in my opinion. I wouldn't tinker with the back four or forward line as they need as much playing time together as possible right now once there is a settled starting lineup for MLS games.

He's like Kevin Harmse with a more exotic passport (Argentine-Croat as opposed to South African-Canadian)...

Martin Saric is probably going to be a hate figure amongst the fanbase but you need somebody in central mid to do the ball winning to allow players like JDG to focus on being creative. What Saric and Usanov need to adjust to (Hscanovics appears to be getting there now) is that in MLS refs don't judge challenges primarily based on whether the player gets to the ball first as happens in many parts of Europe. They actually pay attention to the stuff in the rules about not making challenges with excessive force. Saric and Usanov only need to make a slight adjustment to eliminate the early yellows. The tackle Saric made on Ljunberg early in the first half was very important and helped set the tone for the rest of the game. Preki was right a few games back about not wanting a bunch of ballerinas out there, in my opinion.

"Yes We Cann!"

LOL, thats great... that should be his chant... "ADRIAN CANN, YES WE CANN!"

BTW... didn'T mention it in my last post, but I also thought the Latvian had his best game. It might have just been a comfort thing for him. He needed time to get comfortable with the team and the league.

You guys were right about the skipping the first half. Not much happening but the second was probably the best I've seen TFC play. Frei was huge. That game was easily a 3-2 loss or 2-2 tie result without his huge saves. He should have got a 9 for that performance.

What is Paul James on about? Seriously "The recognition of when you must go direct appears to be missing in many MLS teams, in part, from the over emphasized build-up ideology. "??? WTF? "over emphasized build-up ideology"? I would like to see some stats on percentage of completions from long ball passes (40+ yards). If you can't keep possession more than 50% of the time then you are just turning it over. Has he ever watched Barca play? I personally think build up and possession separate strong from wannabe soccer teams. That and it is a very fun and entertaining game to watch. if I want my head going side to side I'll go watch tennis. You have to do both accurately and if anything MLS teams rely too much on long ball. Oh well just his opinion and he is wrong.

Think he's very much an advocate of a more direct British style 4-4-2 although I'm drawing that conclusion to a large extent from the way his London Lasers team played at the Marconi Club in London 18 years ago. There are different ways to play the game and no absolute right and wrong on this sort of issue. Different types of tactics work for different types of teams. There is often a strong Latin American influence on the way MLS teams play the game, which is not surprising given the number of games that get played in cities like Houston in the middle of summer. An emphasis on letting the ball do the work through "over emphasized build up ideology" is the best way to avoid the drastic summer slumps that TFC have been through in past seasons.

If we disregard the defensive part of his game, Hscanovics is similar to Mike Kulkowski no? Great left foot, composed on the ball, good distribution and positional(offensive) sense, crossing seems to be decent as well. I am happy with him joining the club. Actually when I think of it perhaps you can draw comparisons with Usanov and Staltieri as well. Not the most skilled players but both like to get forward and make themselves available for the ball.

.....perhaps this is what happens when your national team hasn't played since janurary?

Archived