Canadians abroad: February 5-11, 2010

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for February 5-11, 2010.

• If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

• If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

• Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Tomorrow, Robert Stillo will get the opportunity to start for Genoa's Primavera squad (1st team reserves) in a tournament fixture against Paraguayan side Club Sol do Campo Grande.

The tournament is known as Torneo Viareggio. Apparently, this is one of the most important youth tournaments in Europe annually.

http://www.torneoviareggio.it/it/home.html

This is Genoa's 3rd match of the opening group phased (having already defeated a team from Dukla Prague and Bari's Primavera squad.

Including Stillo, there are a total of 12 players on Genoa's Primavera squad that have Youth NT caps under their belt (representing a variety of countries). I found that tidbit quite interesting.

I'll report back tomorrow once I hear how Robert does in this match.

UPDATE: Genoa 2 - Club Sol 1. Stillo gets the win, played well and earned an assist. Genoa moves on to the next round of the tournament.

Atiba Hutchinson played 90 minutes on the right wing in a friendly match between his F.C. Copenhagen and Ukraine's Shakhtar Donetsk. 1-1 was the final score.

FCK are preparing for their UEFA Europa League fixture against Olympique Marseille on February 18 in Copenhagen. The Danish regular season does not kick off again until March.

England

Premier League

Burnley (Edgar) 2 v 1 West Ham

Edgar off the bench on 86 mins

Stoke 3 v 0 Blackburn (Hoilett)

Hoilett stays on the bench

Championship

Barnsley (Hume) 1 v 0 Watford

Hume stays on the bench

Ipswich (Peters) 1 v 1 Middlesbrough

Peters stays on the bench

League One

Brentford 4 v 0 Gillingham (Jackson)

Jackson starts and plays 90 mins

League Two

Burton Albion (Pesch's Albion) 1 v 0 Port Vale

Hereford (McCallum)1 v 0 Torquay

McCallum starts and plays 90 mins. Scores on 22 mins

Macclesfield 0 v 1 Shrewsbury (Dunfield)

Dunfield starts and plays 90 mins

Conference Premier

AFC Wimbledon (Godfrey)2 v 0 Forest Green

No Godfrey

Crawley Town (Rayner)1 v 0 Cambridge Utd

Rayner starts and plays 90 mins

Scotland

Premier League

Motherwell 1 v 0 Hamilton (Hastings)

Hastings stays on the bench

You can watch Occean goal against GAIS here:

http://webtv.tv2.no/webtv/sumo/?treeId=205101&progId=378558

He has another chance well save in the second half and also has a nice set up for a teamates.

LSK - Nybergsund 3-0 (OO with 2 goals)

http://webtv.tv2.no/webtv/?progId=377794

Highlights of Lars:

Odd-Vålerenga (3-1) here:

http://webtv.tv2.no/webtv/?progId=378249

Valerenga vs Lech Poznan (1-1)

http://webtv.tv2.no/webtv/sumo/?treeId=209103&progId=377916

Valenraga vs Tromso (2-1)

http://webtv.tv2.no/webtv/sumo/?treeId=209103&progId=377916

Hereford (McCallum)1 v 0 Torquay

McCallum starts and plays 90 mins. Scores on 22 min

I think that is 6 goals in 5 starts and 11 appearances overall in the league. He also has 3 appearances in other competitions.

Only 22, one to maybe keep an eye on

England

Premier League

Fulham 3 v 0 Burnley (Edgar)

Edgar starts and plays 90 mins

Championship

Middlesbrough 2 v 1 Barnsley (Hume)

Hume off the bench on 77 mins

QPR 1 v 2 Ipswich (Peters)

Peters starts and plays 90 mins

League One

Gillingham (Jackson) 0 v 1 Tranmere

Jackson starts and plays 90 mins

League Two

Cheltenham 0 v 1 Burton Albion (Pesch's Albion)

Shrewsbury (Dunfield) 2 v 0 Barnet

Dunfield starts and plays 90 mins

I was wondering how Andrew Ornoch's season was going but when I checked Heracles Almelo's game sheets over the last several weeks he has not been on the bench (I think he's made just one sub appearence for the season to date). Anyone know how he's doing, health or otherwise?

He has been a regular player and somewhat frequent goalscorer for the team's reserves. At 24 years old, it is about time he starts getting first team minutes somewhere.

Josh Simpson is going to see the semi final stage of the Türkiye Kupasi (Turkish Cup) as Manisaspor def. Denizlispor 5-1 on aggregate. Up next is the winner of the Fenerbahce vs Bursaspor match occurring today, which has Fenerbahce leading 3-0 on aggregate.

He has been a regular player and somewhat frequent goalscorer for the team's reserves. At 24 years old, it is about time he starts getting first team minutes somewhere.

Almelo's somewhat unexpected success this season has negatively impacted his opportunities to get gametime.

It would be nice if Almelo could send him out on loan but I'm not sure that is an option.

Almelo's somewhat unexpected success this season has negatively impacted his opportunities to get gametime.

It would be nice if Almelo could send him out on loan but I'm not sure that is an option.

Perhaps he can follow the route of Will Johnson and return to North America after his contract is completed (one more year to go?), should he remain mired in the reserves.

Perhaps he can follow the route of Will Johnson and return to North America after his contract is completed (one more year to go?), should he remain mired in the reserves.

Yes please, i've been calling that one for about a year.

Guy needs to be playing. He's got the talent. MLS will pave the road back to europe, if he desires.

Archived