Canucks in Germany - January 2010

Guest Ed

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Obinna

Well, either him or Straith, who is also playing right back. I hope both get a look there in 2010.

Well, for the longest time we had no RB depth (as opposed to the LB position), but now we have some guys emerging, not forgetting Hainault at Houston and Attakora at TFC (though I'd really prefer to see the latter as a CB)

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Thanks for that Frank. For those who can't read German, the story says that some may be surprised that McKenna extended, given that there were rumours he was looking for a transfer last summer and over the winter break, but McKenna says that the manager has shown confidence in him, playing him in various positions, and that on a personal note, his wife is expecting their third child and they are quite happy in Koeln. Kevin married the daughter of a German national cyclist (might have been from DDR days) from Cottbus.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to say that he's interested in getting his coaching license later on:

http://www.goal.com/de/news/827/bundesliga/2010/01/10/1736413/1-fc-k%C3%B6ln-rentenvertrag-f%C3%BCr-mckenna

Yep. This article says they have bought a house near Koeln and he plans on retiring in that city and will be looking to work on his coaching certificate this coming summer.

Cottbus site has a question of the day where they feature a player and a question. Today's question was 'As a Canadian, you must be used to all this snow right?' posed to Adam Straith. He said 'Never. I'm from the west coast where we don't get much snow at all'.

Here's the training conditions yesterday:

10892.jpg

The top leagues are back in action this weekend after their winter break.

Preview:

Saturday

Bundesliga 1

Borussia Moenchengladbach (6W-3D-8L - 11th) open the 2nd half of the season home to VfL Bochum (4W-4D-9L - 16th). Both Stalteri and Friend are out injured. The opening game of the season was a 3-3 draw at Bochum. Note that Imhof has transferred to FC St Gallen over the winter break.

Bundesliga 2

Rot Weiss Ahlen (1W-5D-11L - 18th) host FC St Pauli (10W-3D-4L - 2nd), with Jonathan Bourgault on the bench.

Sunday

Bundesliga 1

FC Koeln (4W-6D-7L - 12th) are home to Borussia Dortmund (8W-6D-3L - 5th), with McKenna in at centre back with the talented Geromel out with bronchitis. Koeln lost the opening game 1-0 away to Dortmund.

Bundesliga 2

Energie Cottbus (6W-5D-6L - 11th) travel to take on FC Augsburg (7W-7D-3L - 6th) with Adam Straith now a full member of the starting eleven.

MSV Duisburg (8W-4D-5L - 7th) host FSV Frankfurt (3W-4D-10L - 16th) with Nik Ledgerwood on the bench for the visitors. Staying 16th or better (17th and 18th relegate directly) is the goal for Frankfurt.

As posted on old forum by Ed:

As previewed, Friend is not dressed in a 2-1 home loss by Borussia Moenchengladbach.

Bourgault stays on the bench as FC St Pauli miss a rare opportunity to pull 3 points closer to FC Kaiserslautern as they lose 1-0 away.

As posted on old forum by Ivan:

As previewed, Friend is not dressed in a 2-1 home loss by Borussia Moenchengladbach.

Bourgault stays on the bench as FC St Pauli miss a rare opportunity to pull 3 points closer to FC Kaiserslautern as they lose 1-0 away.

Ed, Kicker says St. Pauli won 0-2 (Borgault stays on bench). Are you talking about a different game?

Straith subbed out min 71 after his team is down 3-0. They lose 3-1.

Ledgerwood subbed in min 74 with Frankfurt down 4-0. They lose 5-0.

^ Oops. Too hasty on looking at the score there yesterday for the St Pauli game. Was a win to pull them within 3 points of FC Kaiserslautern at the top of the table.

Not a good day today for our Canucks in Bundesliga 2.

McKenna started and they are down 2-0 to Dortmund getting late in the game.

As posted on old forum by Frank:

What a comeback for Cologne, tied the game in minute 88. Kevin scored the 2:1 and set up the equalizer. In extra time Dortmund made the game winnig goal.

With that defeat FC finds itselfe in the relegation fight. Seems the faith in Kev and his new contact gave him confidence

As posted on old forum by Keegan:

How can people not see McKenna as a starter on Canada? I don't get it... anyways good on him!

Because at best he is a serviceable Bundesliga/international defender. You can stick him in at the back and 50% of the time he does a good job

and 50% of the time he is poor but he is never the guy you really want on the field. If you are playing bunker defence with a lot of guys back and the opposing team is lobbing in high balls (like at Cottbus and more and more at Koln right now) he can be effective but if the other team is attacking with the ball on the ground with speedy players like most teams in CONCACAF he is going to struggle. At the moment we don't have clearly superior alternatives so he is an option by default but it seems like we are developing some defenders with superior speed and skills. McKenna does have a nose for goal and in my opinion if he has a future on the team it is as someone who can be subbed in as either a defender when needed or preferrably as a target forward.

I'm trying to get some confirmation but the Schalke player closest in the background in this pic looks like Graham Fisher, although there was no mention of him in the short report at the Schalke site on their U19's taking on FC Nurnberg this past weekend.

RTEmagicP_100117_u19_babic.JPG

Here is Graham Fisher in a pic from the Calgary Chinooks website:

1186_graham-2.jpg

Also, Massih Wassey played the 2nd half as an attacking m/f behind the lone striker for the Schalke U23's over the weekend in a friendly vs SG Wattenscheid, losing 1-0.

so...what is the difinitive word....would he still be eligible for canada?.....will he play at PAOK?.....that might not be low enough yet for him to consider switching.

He hasnt even gone to PAOK, they finished 2nd and hes gone to a team that finished 10th

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraklis_Thessaloniki_F.C.

Ahhh well im sure there is a couch back in Vancouver for him to sit on and watch all the international footy going on while our boys are in Argentina and Portugal preps for the World Cup

I hope so, we need a keeper bad

Then again maybe its time to finally send a message? This is the chance

That'll make players think twice about playing some games for another country's youth team or being involved in a senior squad or two, living their little fantasy and then crawling back when they have no chance of cutting the senior team.

Lets have some pride here, I dont think the dressing room mood is going to be that great with a guy like Fernandes in the picture he'll be an outsider and there will probably be whispers behind his back quite a bit. Its not fair to anyone but the traitor who gets to come back and then youngsters like David Monsalve never get a chance because of this guy

Then again maybe its time to finally send a message? This is the chance

That'll make players think twice about playing some games for another country's youth team or being involved in a senior squad or two, living their little fantasy and then crawling back when they have no chance of cutting the senior team.

Lets have some pride here, I dont think the dressing room mood is going to be that great with a guy like Fernandes in the picture he'll be an outsider and there will probably be whispers behind his back quite a bit. Its not fair to anyone but the traitor who gets to come back and then youngsters like David Monsalve never get a chance because of this guy

I would say yes if our keeper pool wasn't so thin right now. Fact is we can't afford to say no to this guy if he wants to play for Canada.

Archived