NASL and USL denied

jspice

quote:Originally posted by the biologist

Where did you see that ? Both the Caps and Impact state in their press release that:

"The league will be managed by a board of directors that will be composed of one representative per team and one USSF representative. An executive committee will also be created to implement the directors' decisions."

Sources ?

Correction, the league will be run by a 5 person executive committee, otherwise as I described (checked my notes this time!). This was a direct quote from Sunil Gulati during the media conference.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Peter Schaad

Maybe between the 2 leagues, they'll be able to come up with a better championship trophy. I got the same trophy from finishing 3rd in 5 pin bowling back in 1983.

I had no idea the trophy had so much history behind it. And you want to chuck it all for something new? That's crazy.

They should do what they do with the Stanley Cup, and just keep adding levels to the base until the whole thing is 11 feet tall.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Correction, the league will be run by a 5 person executive committee, otherwise as I described (checked my notes this time!). This was a direct quote from Sunil Gulati during the media conference.

It's cool, I tought maybe all the people involved weren't exactly on the same page. Who knows, the way things are run at the moment...

quote:Originally posted by tmcmurph

That is an interesting question I hadn't thought of. For the players who are clearly MLS level it probably wouldn't affect much but for those who were thinking of other North American options it might give them pause for concern. How that would reflect in the CBA negotiations is hard to tell. The owners might feel they have a stronger hand and push back more.

Great question...which again makes me wonder why on earth anybody associated with MLS would be allowed to be on a "task force" looking into the div 2 situation. If they don't come to an agreement by the 31st, MLS players could very easily use the USL/MLS as leverage. And with no salary cap rules in Div 2, it's possible that one rogue owner could snap up a bunch of stars and win everything...including the CCL. (I'm not sure if there's a labour stoppage clause in that CBA)

Not convinced by that theory. Think it's a case of people who grew up with the mainstream North American sports culture assuming that the same scenarios automatically apply to soccer without really thinking it through. Leagues like the NHL and MLB are the apex predators in their sports so once the dispute gets settled there is not much doubt that the players will want to return. That's not the case with soccer because the better players in MLS have genuine options outside North America regardless of what happens with the NASL and USL-D1. If the existing player contracts are voided and the players become available on the international transfer market as Bosman signings, MLS could easily wind up losing out on several future Mo Edu, Freddy Adu and Jozy Altidore type transfer fees. I suspect a strike is much more likely than a lockout and in that context MLS still holds the player registrations so no transfers are possible to any league that is sanctioned by a FIFA affiliated national association.

Archived