Who to call in for January camp/friendly

dr. killinger

from Wiki

"International

Cannon's father is Canadian, which made him eligible to have played for the Canadian National Team, should he have chosen to do so. Joe turned down the chance, instead choosing to represent the United States National Team.

Cannon has earned two caps with the US national team (as of early 2005), his first coming against New Zealand on June 8, 2003."

and

"International

Ihemelu made his debut for the United States on January 29, 2006, against Norway.[1]

Unusually, he was then called up by Canada in June 2008 and traveled with the team for their match against St. Vincent and the Grenadines. While the Canadian Soccer Association has Ihemelu's hometown listed as Winnipeg, Manitoba, Ihemelu's eligibility to play for Canada was in doubt, due to his appearing for the United States in the aforementioned Norway game, and to questions over his Canadian citizenship[2]. For these reasons, the Canadians did not field Ihemelu in the Saint Vincent game.

In January 2009 Ihemelu was called into the US's training camp. He joined San Jose (MLS) defender Jason Hernandez as replacements for Clarence Goodson and Cory Gibbs who left camp early. He then appeared in the match following the camp against Sweden, clearing a guaranteed goal of the line.[3]"

I'm definitely in with those on this board who favour a youth movement. Our situation is not the same as a European, South American or an African national side that is constantly involved in important qualifiers for important tournaments that happen every two years (putting aside the debate over how important the Gold Cup is).

I don't see the benefit of calling up aging players now who may help us in the short-term for games that aren't really important. Shouldn't everything we do now be geared towards having the best possible nucleus of players together in their prime in June 2012 when the next World Cup qualifying cycle starts?

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

New FIFA rules Razcle. They both just played friendlies for the US. They are eligible for us. Cannon was talked about when San Jose played in Toronto

Ihemelu is not eligible, he does not meet the 5 consecutive years of residency requirement.

Out of curiosity, didn't one of Ihemlu's parents hold a Canadian passport while living in Winnipeg? If so, perhaps it has expired. What was the claim that Ugo might have been able to play for Canada in the first place? I do know that it was Frank Yallop who first tried to recruit him.

Cheers!

quote:Originally posted by Lord Bob

My understanding is that Onstad hasn't so much retired from the national team as saying that he's willing to answer the call but really doubts he'll ever get it.

Now, the 500 years old I won't argue. Anybody who got their first cap playing for British North America against the Transvaal has clearly been around a bit.

IF HART CALLS UP ONSTAD, I WILL GO OUT AND BUY A MEXICO JERSEY.

Onstad’s success (while in many sense’s should be applauded) in other ways needs to be correctly described.

You one of the best coaches in MLS and one of the best backlines in MLS and you throw in Onstad who provides excellent positional keeping.

Without the defensive dominance and superior coach … Onstad is much more exposed on the international level and forced to rely on his athleticism. While his brain moves a mile a minute in soccer terms the body moves about a mile an hour. Leaving us with reason why it’s better for us to watch from the side rather than jump into any form of Onstad ever coming back… (not mentioning he’s got to be close to retirement etc…)

Disagree with that. Onstad big mistake against Jamaica came on a corner kick that was taken by a USL player. IMO, this had nothing to do with the "international level". Dropping that ball against CR in 2004 had also nothing to do with the "international level".

Those were terrible mistakes made at the wrong time. Just like JDG failing to control an easy pass has nothing to do with the level of play but more with an uncharacteristic mistake. Remember that Onstad in 2007 and 2008 played fairly well for our MNT before the Jamaica game.

Let's also remember that we are playing in CONCACAF, where the level of our opponents is usually relatively weak.

If you look at his recent performances (MLS playoffs), he was key in the 2 games against Seattle and kept Houston in the game against LA. Yes, he has a good backline and a good coach but he has played some huge games for Houston in the past and is continuing to do so. Ask Houston fans their opinion of Pat and they'll be really positive about his play.

Of course, I don't want to see him back, the chance he'll be performing well at 44-45 yrs old are quite thin. But with his current performances in MLS, if he was 24 yrs old, he would be in line to follow Guzan in Europe.

Nobody is perfect and even the very best keepers make terrible blunders at time. But, terrible mistakes at terrible times suggest an absence of mental strength. Personally I think a lot of our players suffer from that, and most definitely include Onstad in that category.

• 2 weeks later...

Hirchfield

Monslave

Jakovic

Hainaunt

Attakora

Serioux

Jazic

De Guzman

Hutchinson

Nakajima

Bernier