U 20 Team

Jay20

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

We lost today.

Regulation time, tied 2-2 (goals by Jarek Whiteman at 3rd minute and Reda Agourram at the 89th minute).

Went to extra time, then PKs. Congo keeper made 4 saves, our keeper made 3 saves. We lost PKs 2-1

Unfortunate result but not a bad run all in all.

Is there a 3rd place match?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ but Misiewicz made three straight saves for Canada, despite the miscues by our shooters:

"After 120 minutes, both teams went to shots from the penalty mark. Whiteman was stopped on the first shot before Congo made it 1-0. Scepanovic (cross bar), Agourram (stopped) and Gino Mauro (stopped) then all failed to score on the ensuing three Canadian shots. Fortunately, Misiewicz made three straight saves for Canada. Alex Semenets then scored for Canada on the fifth shot to make it 1-1, but Congo countered to make it a 2-1 final. "

Does anyone know more about Misiewicz, beside info from CSA and Sunderland AFC websites?

quote:Originally posted by redhat

^ but Misiewicz made three straight saves for Canada, despite the miscues by our shooters:

"After 120 minutes, both teams went to shots from the penalty mark. Whiteman was stopped on the first shot before Congo made it 1-0. Scepanovic (cross bar), Agourram (stopped) and Gino Mauro (stopped) then all failed to score on the ensuing three Canadian shots. Fortunately, Misiewicz made three straight saves for Canada. Alex Semenets then scored for Canada on the fifth shot to make it 1-1, but Congo countered to make it a 2-1 final. "

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

What kind of marketing are you expecting from the CSA ?

As in who will they market a team too ?

They'll market the team to everyone. Let's be honest, even straight guys will gravitate towards players that are good looking. It's the reason why Torres and C. Ronaldo are so popular, and why Samuel Eto and Arjen Robben aren't.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

According to the CSA website, it was 2-1 on penalty kicks. It seems 4 of our 5 shooters missed their kicks. Not very impressive.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_U20WC/game_profile.asp?gameId=1767

No but impressive results so far in this tourney. Penalties can always be worked on and I think the important thing is we played well during the game and got a good result in regular time.

quote:Originally posted by Macksam

They'll market the team to everyone. Let's be honest, even straight guys will gravitate towards players that are good looking. It's the reason why Torres and C. Ronaldo are so popular, and why Samuel Eto and Arjen Robben aren't.

Since you apparently do not belong to this demographic, let me inform you that the majority of straight male soccer fans hate Ronaldo's guts. He is so famous not because he is good looking but because he has probably been the top striker in the world for the last few years. There has been a long succession of top strikers in the world and they have all been very famous, good looking or not. I have no idea what you are talking about Eto not being popular. He is every bit as popular as Torres. Robben is less popular because unlike the other three he is midfielder not a striker and thus scores fewer goals and is featured far less on highlight reels.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Since you apparently do not belong to this demographic, let me inform you that the majority of straight male soccer fans hate Ronaldo's guts. He is so famous not because he is good looking but because he has probably been the top striker in the world for the last few years. There has been a long succession of top strikers in the world and they have all been very famous, good looking or not. I have no idea what you are talking about Eto not being popular. He is every bit as popular as Torres. Robben is less popular because unlike the other three he is midfielder not a striker and thus scores fewer goals and is featured far less on highlight reels.

Ronaldo and Robben are both wingers. Robben at his best is better than Ronaldo at his best. The only reason he's not as famous is because of his receding hair line.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I'm willing to be there are a good number of more Torres fans out there compared to Eto.

Does anyone know what time today the game against Moracco for 3rd place starts? The schedule shows 1300 Hrs. It appears as if that is Lebanon time which would have been 0600 Hrs our time but I dont see any results or information posted as yet. Looking for results as well as a starting lineup.

Actually while Im writing this it shows game in progress as we speak at goalzz.com but no results as of yet.

oh well...one win, three losses. I'm just happy to see that this squad was able to get 4 games. its a very good experience for them. Hopefully one, two or more of these players will develop into a contributor for the MNT in the future

While the results may be mixed, it seems that the U20s had a pretty good tournament having lost two matches by only a single goal and PKs. They only had a week's prep in Cyprus, and a few of these players may figure well in future plans (Sylla, Nakajima, Misiewicz, Semenets, Stillo, etc.).

I dont see how you can come to the conclusion that the players that you named," may figure well in future plans". Apparently there were several players that did well, including some from the CSL who were first timers, so lets leave the gate open instead of constantly repeating the same players. Yes the ones you mentioned, I agree, but Im hearing from sources who were at the games that several did well and its about time that we will be hearing 'other' new names.Maybe thats one of the problems that we have is only using household names that have been around forever.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

going by the match tracker, it looks like Canada's starting keeper got a red card, which caused the penalty because now Stillo is into the game.

Somewhat surprising that they wouldn't have started Stillo from the get-go for this game, given that its a 3rd place game and usually players that weren't played much or at all are given a chance for these games.

quote:Originally posted by FIRST ELEVEN

I dont see how you can come to the conclusion that the players that you named," may figure well in future plans". Apparently there were several players that did well, including some from the CSL who were first timers, so lets leave the gate open instead of constantly repeating the same players. Yes the ones you mentioned, I agree, but Im hearing from sources who were at the games that several did well and its about time that we will be hearing 'other' new names.Maybe thats one of the problems that we have is only using household names that have been around forever.

What players were mentioned to you?

Archived