U 20 Team

Jay20

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congratulations Boys. I'm very proud of this group. Any success in this tournament would definitely be against the odds. This is a group of boys that were largely strangers to one another and they've come together (under difficult conditions in Beirut).

Word is that the CSA coaches like what they are seeing from some of these players. Who knows...maybe some of these young men have earned themselves a 2nd look down the road. To me, the best part of this tournament was the ability to expose new players to the national team coaches. Hopefully some of them might impress pro scouts as well, especially the ones who are not attached to a full time clubs.

Game Report - http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_U20WC/game_profile.asp?gameId=1765

Canada came up big in its second game of the 2009 Francophone Games group stage with a 2:0 victory over Cameroon. With the victory, Canada finished first in Group B and qualified for the semi-final stage of the 2009 competition.

“Knowing we had to win, the players performed very strong towards a 0-0 scoreline at the half,” said Canadian coach Tony Fonseca. “In the second half, knowing we needed two goals, the players put in a lot of effort and were rewarded.”

Canada’s second half goals were scored by Agustin De Medina in the 49th minute and Alex Semenets in the 60th minute. After the 2:0 victory over Cameroon today and the 2:3 loss to Rwanda on 26 September, Canada finished the group stage with three points and a +1 goal differential.

The play was even in the first half as Canada adjusted well to the size and speed of the Cameroon players. Canada displayed good pace and created a couple of chances.

Canadian goalkeeper Michal Misiewicz was not tested in the first half, although Cameroon nearly scored on the last play of the first half. On a Cameroon free kick, Canadian defender Taylor Lord came up big as he blocked the shot and deflected it wide.

In the second half, Canada created more opportunities as it pressed to find the back of the net. De Medina was the first to score, doing so on a header from a Paris Nakajima-Farran cross.

Then in the 60th minute, Alex Semenets was pulled down in the box and he was awarded a shot from the penalty mark. Semenets made no mistake with his shot to make it 2-0 for Canada.

After Canada’s second goal, Cameroon responded and dictated the play, but could not penetrate Canada’s back end. With five minutes to go, goalkeeper Misiewicz made a tremendous save to keep his clean sheet in tact.

In the 94th minute, substitute Reda Agourram was taken down in the box and Canada was awarded another kick from the penalty mark. This time, Philippe Davies’ shot was blocked by the Cameroon goalkeeper.

Canada’s next match will be the semi-final match on 3 October.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

what's to say that Cameroon sent actual U20 players to the Francophone games?

we all know that the african nations have a reputation for playing fast and loose with birth certificates

If mistakes were made, they would be a couple months off at worst. Alot of third world nations are like that.

quote:Originally posted by Keegan

Ya it seems guys like Semenets and Davies score a lot for the Residency but have always been in the shadow of guys like Haber, Edwini-Bonsu, Orgill and Gage so they don't get their due.

That, or the more likely scenario of the res being really deep in talent!

Of course I'm just a biased Caps fan ;)

quote:Originally posted by Macksam

If mistakes were made, they would be a couple months off at worst. Alot of third world nations are like that.

My buddy played in the Everton youth set up for a few years and he told me of 2 African players who admitted on a night out that they were actually about 2 years older than their birth certificates said they were. I think it happens more than you think.

We lost today.

Regulation time, tied 2-2 (goals by Jarek Whiteman at 3rd minute and Reda Agourram at the 89th minute).

Went to extra time, then PKs. Congo keeper made 4 saves, our keeper made 3 saves. We lost PKs 2-1

Unfortunate result but not a bad run all in all.

quote:Originally posted by maccaliam

My buddy played in the Everton youth set up for a few years and he told me of 2 African players who admitted on a night out that they were actually about 2 years older than their birth certificates said they were. I think it happens more than you think.

Falsified birth certificates are a MASSIVE issue and its a story that doesn't get discussed very often. Just gets brushed under the carpet alot of the time but it is very common. It's like a running inside joke that at international U17 and U20 tournaments, the 1st world countries are truly youth teams and many of the 3rd world countries are senior teams.

Someone mentioned in passing to me that there is talk of instituting mandatory bone density testing at international youth tournaments. I'm not sure if that's 100% for sure or just something that is being debated. I'm also not sure how long it takes for those tests to be processed. I've heard that many big clubs are alread starting to use bone density tests to double check the veracity of some players birth certificates.

Archived