U 20 Team

Jay20

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Ivan

John Pegg is an Alberta kid, isn't he? Thought he attended a couple U17 camps, but hadn't heard anything from him in a while.

From Edmonton, his team won the provincial U18's (Edmonton Southwest United) and went on to win the nationals last year. Goes to Seattle University.

quote:Originally posted by hottoddy7

What is this squad together for? Bonifacio and Gaudet are not eligible for the next u-20's are they?

That's true but I think there is a desire to expose some unnattached players to some European pro scouts with the hope of helping them land pro gigs somewhere.

quote:Originally posted by TheKottonmouthed

Only 7 names that I recongize there.

Stillo

Davies

Semenets

Suprenant

Misiewicz

Gaudet

Najajima-Farran

Reda Agourrham was leading the CSL in scoring last time I checked. 19 year old local kid who played for Concordia.

EDIT: sorry, didn't read all the way down.

quote:Originally posted by canucklefan

If he plays somewhere, where does Bonifacio plays now?

I heard that he might be going to UBC. Not sure if this is 100% true though. I was really surprised by this. As a Vancouver guy, and considering that Fonseca rated him higher than Gage. I thought he might have tried to catch on with the Whitecaps before settling for Canadian University.

Its hard to find much information about the Games or the U20 camp, but they will train in Cyprus and then play in a group that incudes France, during the games which begin Sept 26 in Beirut. If anyone hears about any friendlies beforee the Games start then please post the info in this thread.

Final Roster

1- G- Michal Misiewicz | ENG / Sunderland AFC

2- D- Shawn Kodejs | CAN / Halifax Dunbrack SC

3- D- Alex Surprenant | CAN / Impact de Montréal

4- D/M- Taylor Lord | CAN / Portugal FC

5- D- Gino Mauro | ITA / AS Pro Belvedere Vercelli

6- M- Agustin De Medina | CAN / Brampton Lions FC

7- M- Mozesh Gyorio | USA / San Jacinto College

8- M- Philippe Davies | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

9- F- Reda Agourram | CAN / Attak de Trois-Rivières

10- M- Derek Gaudet | CAN / Halifax Dunbrack SC

11- M- Mohamed Sylla | CAN / unattached / sans club

12- F- Mackenzie Wilde | CAN / Toronto Lynx

13- D- Goran Vlaski | CAN / Serbian White Eagles

14- D- Paris Nakajima-Farran | DEN / Næstved BK

15- M/F- Jarek Whiteman | CAN / North York Astros

16- M- Milos Scepanovic | SRB / Red Star Belgrade

17- F- John Pegg | USA / Seattle University

18- M/F- Alex Semenets | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

19- F- Vladimir Vukovic | BIH / FK Laktasi

20- G- Roberto Stillo | ITA / Genoa CFC

Head Coach / Entraîneur-chef : Tony Fonseca

Assistant Coach / Entraîneur-adjoint : Valerio Gazzola

Goalkeeper coach / Entraîneur des gardiens : Djamel Laarabi

Equipment Manager / Gérant d’équipement : Ryan Bedic

Therapist / Thérapeute : Véronique Cormier

Head of delegation / Chef de la délégation : Francis Millien

Canada's men's U-20 team will begin training in Larnaka, Cyprus this week before the 2009 Francophone Games in Lebanon. Coach Tony Fonseca has selected 20 players for the tournament which runs 26 September to 6 October. Canada will face Congo, France and Morocco in the opening round.

"These games provide a platform from which youth from around the world rally to unite culture and sports," said coach Tony Fonseca. "The games stand for its core values: diversity, excellence and solidarity."

Canada will train in Cyprus from 19-23 September. The team then departs for Lebanon on 24 September and resumes training immediately. The team plays Congo on 26 September (21.00 local), France on 28 September (18.00 local), and Morocco on 30 September (18.00 local).

"In line with its values, the games provide a great opportunity to develop and promote new talents on the international scene," said Fonseca. "We are all looking forward to the games."

All 20 Canadian players were born 1989 or later, thus making them eligible for the next Men's Olympic Football Tournament cycle which runs through 2012. The Francophone Games roster features four returning players from the 2009 CONCACAF Men's Under-20 Championship from earlier this year: Philippe Davies, Derek Gaudet, Paris Nakajima-Farran and Alex Surprenant. Along with Davies, three other players have experience from the 2007 CONCACAF Men's Under-17 Championship: Alex Semenets, Mohamed Sylla and Jarek Whiteman.

The three youngest players on the team are Gino Mauro, John Pegg and Roberto Stillo. All three were born in 1991 and are eligible for the 2011 CONCACAF Men's Under-20 Championship.

ALEX SURPRENANT AND REDA AGOURRAM AT THE FRANCOPHONE GAMES

PRESS RELEASE: September 18, 2009

MONTREAL – Impact defender Alex Surprenant and forward Reda Agourram from Impact reserve team the Trois-Rivières Attak were selected to the U-20 Canadian national team for the Francophone games, which will be held from September 27 to October 6 in Beirut, Lebanon. Surprenant had taken part to the CONCACAF U-20 Championship, the qualifier for the FIFA U-20 World Cup, last February. Agourram has on his part scored 13 goals in 17 matches up to now with the Attak.

“I’m very happy of having been selected by the national team,” declared Surprenant, a left-footed defender who turned 20 on September 4. “This is a nice gesture of trust on my behalf. This will also be an opportunity for the team to get back on track after we were eliminated in the World Cup qualifiers. We are heading to Lebanon to win the tournament. ”

Head coach Tony Fonseca’s team will hold one final training camp in Cyprus from September 19 to 23. Note that Canada will face Congo, France and Morocco in the preliminary round.

-30-

Source: Patrick Vallée, Montreal Impact

Info: 514-328-3668 (ext. 227)

quote:Originally posted by Eric

A friend of Milos Scepanovic told me that he's not in Red Start Belgrade, he went there for a tryout but he didn't make it.

Milos is a very high quality player. He needs to mature a bit but he's got loads of potential, from what I've seen.

If he has his head on straight, he can be a pro at some level.

^ Well, Red Star (or whatever team he trialed for in Serbia) seemed to think he was good enough to be offered a pro contract.

Ultimately, its up to Milos to decide if we wants to commit himself to becoming the best he can be. Let's see what comes from this camp and tournament.

Archived