FourFourTwo Recognizes TFC fans

Soju

There's a spread in the latest issue of Four Four Two where one of their writers makes the trek to Toronto for a match. A lot of praise for the support and atmosphere. This is a well read magazine, good to see this kind of exposure for football in Canada. [8D]

Couldn't find the article itself online but here's something related from their website:

http://fourfourtwo.com/travel/restoftheworld/toronto/141/default.aspx

THAT´S AWESOME. Not really news to any TFC fans, but great publicity for Soccer here in Canada fans! People from Montreal and Vancouver, I´m sure that the exact same thing would be written about your stadiums.

I refuse to take any critism in the food department from a Brit, bus drivers are often jerks the world over, and our transit absolutely sucks, but a great article nontheless. I think fourfourtwo is up there with World Soccer as the biggest english (as in language) footy mags in the world.

I remember seeing "David Beckham´s Soccer Show" on tv in Glasgow and TFC was rated Britain´s number one soccer team, although that´s probably just because we´re the only non-American one.

Hilarious - the article advises that while in Toronto if you want to watch a weekend game on TV, it recommends the Football Factory or "If you'd rather slum it, then head to the dark, dingy confines of the Duke of Gloucester". Now I'm hurt.

FourFourTwo is IMO the best soccer magazine there is. It doesn't take itself or the game too seriously and is always packed with great articles. Quite England-centric but that's to be expected. Too bad it's so bloody expensive.

quote:Originally posted by earlimus

THAT´S AWESOME. Not really news to any TFC fans, but great publicity for Soccer here in Canada fans! People from Montreal and Vancouver, I´m sure that the exact same thing would be written about your stadiums.

Montreal locks it down, on sofoot.com.

Maybe we even had our feature before you, which would just be another instance of Toronto coming in second to Montreal.

[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Trident

Montreal locks it down, on sofoot.com.

Maybe we even had our feature before you, which would just be another instance of Toronto coming in second to Montreal.

[8D]

sofoot.com? Oh ya, that's a foot fetish site isn't it? :D

quote:Originally posted by Soju

August 2009 with Messi on the cover in his argie shirt, that's the latest issue where I am is September's out?

Not where I am, but I'm sure the new issue hits the stands in some places long before they arrive here.

quote:Originally posted by Whither Canada

Hilarious - the article advises that while in Toronto if you want to watch a weekend game on TV, it recommends the Football Factory or "If you'd rather slum it, then head to the dark, dingy confines of the Duke of Gloucester". Now I'm hurt.

Than they must have their heads far up their asses. Toronto has the most soccer games on basic tv anywhere in the world. Definately more than England.

quote:Originally posted by Macksam

Not sure I'd call GolTV, Fox Soccer, Setanta, TLN "basic cable". In fact, I recall not too long ago requiring digital cable just to see Canada play live.

But yeah, you can get a tonne of matches if you're willing to pay.

^^I assume that's in Toronto? That won't necessarily apply coast to coast as the Rogers channel numbers are often different even in a relatively big and nearby city like London, Ont. although not in the case of TLN admittedly. Think you'll find that when you head away from the major urban centres where first and second generation immigrants are concentrated TLN often tends to be dropped off the basic cable package by the local provider.

Just pointing out the potential source of confusion on what represents basic cable, Macksam. Would agree with amacpher over GolTV, FoxSoccer and Setanta. There is way more soccer available now to those who will pay extra for speciality channels but I don't think the situation for people with basic cable is anything particularly spectacular in global terms.

quote:Originally posted by I_AM_CANADIAN

TLN is channel 35 on Rogers.... basic cable.;)

So far as I can recall, though, last season there were only 3 games of European football on weekends, one on Sportsnet, two on TLN.

Yeah, that's what I seem to recall on my visits. Of course, visits = staying in hotels or visiting family that don't care about soccer = basic cable. And... yeah... there's hardly any soccer on whatsoever. Not even MLS (except TFC).

No way there are more soccer games on basic cable in Canada (or Toronto) than anywhere else in the world. Maybe 20% of what any other country in the Americas gets, including the USA.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Yeah, that's what I seem to recall on my visits. Of course, visits = staying in hotels or visiting family that don't care about soccer = basic cable. And... yeah... there's hardly any soccer on whatsoever. Not even MLS (except TFC).

No way there are more soccer games on basic cable in Canada (or Toronto) than anywhere else in the world. Maybe 20% of what any other country in the Americas gets, including the USA.

MLSE did the research before getting TFC, and they concluded that out of anywhere in the world, Toronto was the place you could watch the most soccer on TV. Living my whole life here, I don't find that hard to believe.

quote:Originally posted by Macksam

MLSE did the research before getting TFC, and they concluded that out of anywhere in the world, Toronto was the place you could watch the most soccer on TV. Living my whole life here, I don't find that hard to believe.

Right, but I thought you were referring to basic TV (ie. excluding Fox Soccer, Setanta, GolTV, etc.)?

And didn't GolTV Canada come after TFC?? Unless I'm forgetting something, MLSE's study is highly flawed if it was done before the arrival of GolTV. There's no-way Toronto could have the most games back then since there was practically 2 whole continents ignored in terms of soccer coverage until GolTV arrived. Which means basically it was only European leagues that were covered.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Right, but I thought you were referring to basic TV (ie. excluding Fox Soccer, Setanta, GolTV, etc.)?

And didn't GolTV Canada come after TFC?? Unless I'm forgetting something, MLSE's study is highly flawed if it was done before the arrival of GolTV. There's no-way Toronto could have the most games back then since there was practically 2 whole continents ignored in terms of soccer coverage until GolTV arrived. Which means basically it was only European leagues that were covered.

It could have been flawed, but it determined nicely the level of support they would get when going a head with the team.

Archived