Carver resigns

john tv

What is the connection between Paul,Gol TV and Carver.

Did the phony field created another casualty,since Carver let Dwayne play last Sunday with that hamstring problem,which backfired.

Speculation and it all adds up to behind the scene scenarios and only gives the media more animal hay.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by john tv

What is the connection between Paul,Gol TV and Carver.

Did the phony field created another casualty,since Carver let Dwayne play last Sunday with that hamstring problem,which backfired.

Speculation and it all adds up to behind the scene scenarios and only gives the media more animal hay.

A poster named Angelo on this board said that Paul James was fired because Carver and some of the other MLSE brass didn't like how critical James was on Mo and TFC on Extra Time last year - once they bought the station he was gone, leaving Gol TV with (currently) no expert analyst in studio. No offense to Lee Godfrey who's very good as a host but isn't able to offer anywhere near the same level of insight as James would.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Yeah, there's so many English lower league castoffs on this team.

Rudi... maybe you need to talk to Mo.. he looks to England first calling his old buddies, then when the players hear what he can offer for a salary .. they tell him to pack it in, and he goes to SA or CA to get spots filled on the roster.

You may have had a hard on for the Mo and Jo show but it produced nothing of significance on the field.

Time will tell if Cummins can step into the role and succeed or if he will fall into same personal failures that appear to have led to Mr. Carvers resignation.

Rudi, all your chest beating for TFC wont do any good till they win something be it the Voyageurs Cup, or a playoff spot in the MLS.

This totally caught me by surprise. I did not see this coming. Wow. I mean he wasn't the greatest coach, but you have to admit he wasn't the worst either. Wow. So who will take over then? Cummins? I quite like the fellow. He strikes me as a guy that's liked by the team and he seems to know his stuff. He managed the team well against Chivas. (or was he simply acting on the advice of Carver for that game?)

Anyways. Good luck JC.

Might be Noocassell related but I've got a sneaking suspicion that he was given the chance to jump before he was pushed. The difference in professionalism from Chris Cummins in handling the media was night and day and some of John Carver's tactical and selection decisions have been bizarre. He wouldn't have made it any further than the winning team gets to start the next game stuff at most British clubs.

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

What I've learned so far:

http://www.24thminute.com/2009/04/more-to-carver-move-than-meets-eye.html

So Cummins does well with one game, and now has the power to offer an ultimatum? Wow.

TFC has started well. This is quite a blow, whether one thinks Carver has done a good job or not. As mentioned, three coaches in three years is a pretty tough way to start. Where is the continuity?

quote:Originally posted by BringBackTheBlizzard

Might be Noocassell related but I've got a sneaking suspicion that he was given the chance to jump before he was pushed. The difference in professionalism from Chris Cummins in handling the media was night and day and some of John Carver's tactical and selection decisions have been bizarre. He wouldn't have made it any further than the winning team gets to start the next game stuff at most British clubs.

I distinctly remember discussing with Gian-Luca many moons ago (the start of last year, in fact) about my opinion that Mo needed a set-up "fall guy" should things go pear shaped for this team, so JC provided that buffer. We've discussed the importance of this early season home stand and the need to get maximum points, so I can see your point about his being pushed. There was/is a lot of expectation coming into year three, what with DeRo arriving and a playoff spot being the minimum standard for success.

It definitely looked a bit like that at the time. Carver was also someone who would need to rely on Mo's experience of the league while someone with MLS experience might try to sideline Mo and slowly take over both roles but from what I remember they did try to get both Steve Nicol and Paul Mariner before they went with John Carver so an attempt was definitely made to get a well known name in MLS terms. I'd give Chris Cummins until the end of May now to show what he can do and then if need be get someone new in when games are few and far between in June when he still has some time to assess who he does and doesn't want before the guaranteed salaries deadline at the end of June and the opening of the summer transfer window.

It definitely looked a bit like that at the time. Carver was also someone who would need to rely on Mo's experience of the league while someone with MLS experience might try to sideline Mo and slowly take over both roles but from what I remember they did try to get both Steve Nicol and Paul Mariner before they went with John Carver so an attempt was definitely made to get a well known name in MLS terms. I'd give Chris Cummins until the end of May now to show what he can do and then if need be get someone new in when games are few and far between in June when he still has some time to assess who he does and doesn't want before the guaranteed salaries deadline at the end of June and the opening of the summer transfer window.

Any chance that Mo ends up replacing Cummins?

Never say never but I doubt it. What I've heard second hand from fan group people who had the most access to TFC management in the first season is that Mo Johnston actually enjoys the GM side of things and there was the whole saga with Bob Gansler wanting formal recognition as being the head coach because of that, which basically confirmed it. Someone like Rudi might have more idea than me though on what things are like now given I am currently sitting in an office building in the northern part of Honshu island in Japan. :)

Another year or so but should be back for a few games this summer. Bob Gansler did speak out a bit for what it's worth. Don't have time to track it down but I think there was an article in Soccer America where he was reported to have said (without any direct quotes) that Mo get off easily as TFC's support has a generous layering of Scottish fans or something like that.

Another year or so but should be back for a few games this summer. Bob Gansler did speak out a bit for what it's worth. Don't have time to track it down but I think there was an article in Soccer America where he was reported to have said (without any direct quotes) that Mo get off easily as TFC's support has a generous layering of Scottish fans or something like that.

I'll see if I can dig it up, thanks.

Cheers! Sayonara!

Maybe "lack of support from management" wasn't directed at Mo but at MLSE? Just a thought.

To be honest he seemed to be getting the team moving in the correct direction this year and I was surprised to hear this. It's not like they lost their first 5 games or have less than 1/5 of the available points so far.

We'll have to see if any further details come out.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

So Cummins does well with one game, and now has the power to offer an ultimatum? Wow.

TFC has started well. This is quite a blow, whether one thinks Carver has done a good job or not. As mentioned, three coaches in three years is a pretty tough way to start. Where is the continuity?

More like Winsper has the power...

quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

I distinctly remember discussing with Gian-Luca many moons ago (the start of last year, in fact) about my opinion that Mo needed a set-up "fall guy" should things go pear shaped for this team, so JC provided that buffer. We've discussed the importance of this early season home stand and the need to get maximum points, so I can see your point about his being pushed. There was/is a lot of expectation coming into year three, what with DeRo arriving and a playoff spot being the minimum standard for success.

Just for the record, if TFC wins tomorrow they move into first place in the East. So, as much as fans would have liked to see more points from the first two home games, it's hardly panic time on the standings front.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Where did Cummins coached before? he is just an other assistant coach as Carver was before getting the job here. TFC is becoming the place of refuge for all the wannabes from England.

As long as Mo stays there, TFC will continue to be a circus.

Latest from the British media:-

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-utd/newcastle-utd-news/2009/04/26/carver-in-a-major-upset-79310-23473525/

Carver told the Sunday Sun: $B!H(BThere is nothing else in the pipeline, and the people at Toronto have been fantastic to me.

$B!H(BIt is the MLS with whom I have issues.$B!I(B

Having been fined $750 last weekend for criticising refereeing standards in the MLS, Carver ran into further trouble with the authorities in recent days.

Having chosen to coach from the stands in Toronto$B!G(Bs midweek win over Chivas, Carver was told he would have to return to pitchside for today$B!G(Bs game against Kansas City.

Sounds like they got John Carver's spin on things.

Archived