TFC cuts a couple of young Canucks

VPjr

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

^Either way, it's the most retarded rule I've ever heard of. Literally, retarded. How is the academy supposed to reach its potential?

I don't believe it is a permanent rule.

Like everything else in MLS, they are trying to ease things along slowly, and as such will continually revisit the rule every few years.

Academies have only been mandatory in MLS for a little over a year now.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I thought it was a max of two players per year.

2 players per year to Development contracts. The 1 player every 3 years being referred to is the Generation Adidas signing from the Academy. Though as i mentioned above, if the kid "graduates" due to PT then you can sign another kid immediately after the last one graduated from GA. You can also sign Academy players as "Discovery" players, but you have to sign them to the Sr. roster and cannot ever demote them to the DEV roster.

Edit: I forgot to mention the most retarded part of the Academy to DEV roster signings: The players cannot be signed until they reach 20 years of age! How stupid is that? Apparently they want to keep the teams in large urban soccer hotbeds from gaining too large of an advantage over the other teams. I think the only logical step to take is to start fielding a U20 team...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=578695&sec=mls&root=mls&&&cc=5901

"So why has there been a delay in the integration of academy graduates into MLS rosters? Some teams point to the league's rules regarding player signings as being too restrictive. Rules currently limit teams to signing one academy graduate to a Generation adidas contract every three years (unless the player graduates from the program sooner), and also prevents teams from signing players younger than 20 to developmental contracts. The first rule means that, theoretically, a team could be prevented from signing a high-level academy graduate because its Generation adidas slot is already occupied."

Archived