CSA begins search for new women's head coach

Richard

Question from rocknotthe

A player taking a throw in runs up to the line and does a forward flip, landing on both feet behind the line and throws the ball a long distance from behind the head and releases it correctly. The defenders stop and complain to the ref and attacking team score. What action does the ref take?

Keith Hackett's answer

This is not in the spirit of the game and I would treat this as unsporting behaviour and caution the player.

Question from BluestarMagic

Also found this addition in the laws so the flip throw would have to be that, a flip, and not a handstand type flip throw that Steve Watson used to do for Villa and Newcastle:

"If the ball touches the ground before entering the field of play, the throw-in shall be retaken by the same team from the same position provided that it was taken in line with the correct procedure. If the throw-in is not taken in line with the correct procedure, it shall be retaken by the opposing team."

Keith Hackett's answer

The law states that he cannot kneel down or even sit down to take a throw in. I would therefore NOT ALLOW the thrower who does a handstand-type flip throw. This for me is a trick to gain an unfair advantage.

Follow-up question from benwlister

This sort of 'flip' throw happens quite regularly in high-school soccer in the USA, very effectively in some cases, and is perfectly legal.

Keith Hackett's answer

Well, I will make contact with someone I know in America and come back to you.

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

Question from BluestarMagic

Also found this addition in the laws so the flip throw would have to be that, a flip, and not a handstand type flip throw that Steve Watson used to do for Villa and Newcastle:

"If the ball touches the ground before entering the field of play, the throw-in shall be retaken by the same team from the same position provided that it was taken in line with the correct procedure. If the throw-in is not taken in line with the correct procedure, it shall be retaken by the opposing team."

Keith Hackett's answer

The law states that he cannot kneel down or even sit down to take a throw in. I would therefore NOT ALLOW the thrower who does a handstand-type flip throw. This for me is a trick to gain an unfair advantage.

What are these people referring to? None of this is in the actual FIFA Laws of the Game. READ the FIFA Laws of the Game -- flip throws are legal, period. Anyone who says otherwise is inventing rules or is just stupid.

quote:Originally posted by squizz

Yikes, well, if you check the time stamp on that last post of mine - hmm, it wasn't my finest hour. Evidently I should take my own advice and read the Laws all the way to the end.

... the description .. is wrong .. it misses one salient point..

If the ball touches the ground ( and after being released by the thrower ) before entering the field of play, the

throw-in shall be retaken by the same team from the same position

provided that it was taken in line with the correct procedure. If the

throw-in is not taken in line with the correct procedure, it shall be

retaken by the opposing team.

This statement simply says you cant bounce the ball into play it must leave hands and go into play directly.... the brit ref is wrong...

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

This statement simply says you cant bounce the ball into play it must leave hands and go into play directly.... the brit ref is wrong...

Trillium you know better the refs are never wrong.... besides even when they are they call it an interpretation.....[:o)]

quote:Originally posted by Trillium

Trillium you know better the refs are never wrong.... besides even when they are they call it an interpretation.....[:o)]

Archived