Canada vs Mexico

Mexicano Americano

Sure, glad to provide it. Torrado's around 30 years old. It's not that he's washed up, but he's definitely had better years. But yes, he's very experienced. Up front, I think it will be Vela (Arsenal) and Dos Santos (Tottenham). Sven's taken some heat because both of those players haven't done much, but I like the fact that they're new blood. They are talented and unproven, but they have good upside. It's not like Mexico has any dominating veteran goal scorers. Guys like Borgetti and Blanco, they're pretty much washed up. Borgetti is not on the roster but Blanco is. Blanco is good in MLS, I think it's a different story in International play. Nery Castillo is extremely talented but ever since he joined Shaktar, which is some Ukrainian team and was then transferred to Man City, he's been injured and hasn't performed well. On top of that, he's a bit of a head-case.

^ Just so we can get an opinion from the outside, Mexicano Americano, how vital to international competition is it to have an experienced, quality coach? It seems a silly question, but the essence of it is this: How much better would a country like Canada do if it had a seasoned international coach? We now have some quality players--DeGuzman is in La Liga, Friend in Bundesliga, Hutchinson with FC Kopenhagen, Derosario etc.--and I wonder what these guys would do with a better coach.

^Well, I am just a die-hard fan when it comes down to it, but I think it's very important. Before Sven, we had Hugo Sanchez. Granted, he probably is the greatest mexican footballer to date, but he was a complete disaster of a coach. There are some blind, narrow minded "Mexico-Only" types in the Federation who think that Mexican soccer in on par with the world's great soccer playing countries and we're not. They pushed for Hugo just because he's Mexican and at one time was great. That's why the U.S. caught us, and right now is the best CONCACAF country. Finally, the FMF came to their senses and got rid of Hugo. I like Sven, he's coached England and in the premier league and I was glad to see someone bring a European approach to our soccer. Who know's how far we'll go, but at least I think he's better than Hugo. I've noticed Mexico now has a more vertical style and appears better prepared and organized. Bottom line, I think that unless you're Brazil, Argentina, England, Germany or Spain....you can't be too nationalistic when it comes to soccer. Might as well be open minded and look beyond your borders.

Archived