A long way to go for football in Canada...

Bratworst

The Honduran fans rubbing it in Canadian faces sounds just like the Chilean fans at the U20's in Toronto... I guess it's a product of "group mob mentality" and an overall inferiority complex. If they were confident and proud of their heritage they would be able to celebrate their victory and wouldn't have to "piss all over our flag" on our home ground all the while behaving like immature undignified oafs.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honduras does not have a monopoly on fans with bad behaviour (i.e rude, disrespectful etc).

These type of people can be found wearing flags of all nationalities.

As for those of you who persist in stating that you do not understand why people living in this country would not support the Canadian National Team, then I suggest that if you really want an answer (instead of just making a rhetorical comment to assuage your pain and frustration with the abysmal performance of our team), take some time to study immigration and culture and the relationship to the psyche of first and nth generation Canadians.

The problem my friends, is on the field, side lines and upper echelons of the CSA. As much as we hope and prayer for a national team that approaches world class in a consistent fashion, we are simply not there yet. And we will not get there until some fundamental changes are made beginning with the CSA.

Job creation programme. A lot of fuss over that phrase. We must be in Canada.

I went to the game with a first gen Canadian that told me his story and it was like every other in that he came here for opportunity. He spent years here before he actually ventured out of his cultural background since he had family here. He, like many before and hopefully all after, chose to immerse himself in the country he chose to live in. Wether he did so or not, wether anyone who comes here does so or doesn't is their choice. Their right. But it's just as much my right to speak of the frustration and disappointment in someone who chooses not to celebrate what Canada is. Does it make someone less Canadian is they support the old country? No not by right. Just by me. That's my right.

quote:Originally posted by TOcanadafan

The Honduran fans rubbing it in Canadian faces sounds just like the Chilean fans at the U20's in Toronto... I guess it's a product of "group mob mentality" and an overall inferiority complex. If they were confident and proud of their heritage they would be able to celebrate their victory and wouldn't have to "piss all over our flag" on our home ground all the while behaving like immature undignified oafs.

I am a proud canadian but what you're saying here is bull s**t, I was at the U20's game in Toronto and those chilean fans were provoke by canadian security personnel and police, because I saw it with my own eyes they were just trying to get autographs from the players and the ignorant level of the canadian officers towards the sport culture, was what trigger the incident.

I think the complex you're talking about is the superiority one we all have when it comes down to countries with a weaker economy but not weaker sense of patriotism, you can't buy what soccer engrave in these people's harts when they were growing up.

Just like you can't take away the hockey player out of a canadian born.

quote:Originally posted by Keano

They will resist that to the death. They will be terrified they won't be able to sell the rest of the stadium to Canadians.

I hope I'm wrong.

Correct! .. Here's where Italianboy's suggestion runs into snags:

Suppose you have a Canada versus Honduras game schedule in sixty days on November 9th, 2008 and tickets are to go go on sale today ( Sept 9, 2008). And you decide to set aside a block of only 1000 seats for visiting fans.

The typical Canadians fans: ( mostly locals ) are less likely to know about the sale amist the inundation of sports news about the Habs, AL's, NFL etc. And, from what they about soccer in canada, they have to figure that there is no need to rush to get in the queue for tickets. Figuring soccer is not like the Habs in the playoffs or a Rolling Stone concert.

Typical Visiting fans: ( mostly out of towners) will know through community information channels and media about this game well before the tickets go on sale. And since they will be travelling for the event, there will be a greater urgency to making the purchase and arrangments in advance ( book vacation time, accomodations, car rental etc). but before you do that, you have a game ticket booked.

So clearly, the visting fans will be higher in queue. SO, if the first 1000 tickets set aside for visitors are gone in the first day or hours and the next 1000-5000 are mostly demands from visiting fans, what is is the ticket seller supposed to? Wait for for the others? Nope, thats not how any business like ticketmaster operates or should be expected to operate. Your in the business to make money by selling tickets and collecting service fees, and money collected today is better than money collected tmrw.

quote:Originally posted by Free kickSo clearly, the visting fans will be higher in queue. SO, if the first 1000 tickets set aside for visitors are gone in the first day or hours and the next 1000-5000 are mostly demands from visiting fans, what is is the ticket seller supposed to? Wait for for the others? Nope, thats not how any business like ticketmaster operates or should be expected to operate. Your in the business to make money by selling tickets and collecting service fees, and money collected today is better than money collected tmrw.

And that's why the CSA, who's NOT in the business of selling tickets, needs to expire EVERY POSSIBLE AVENUE before opening online sales to the general public. We saw this in Toronto when most of the tickets were bought during the presale. We did not see this in Montreal, as there was NO presale. Let me repeat: NO PRESALE!!!

I can't blame Ticketmaster for selling tickets, but Ticketmaster is selling the CSA's tickets and the CSA calls the shots.

quote:Originally posted by Fort York Redcoat

Job creation programme. A lot of fuss over that phrase. We must be in Canada.

I went to the game with a first gen Canadian that told me his story and it was like every other in that he came here for opportunity. He spent years here before he actually ventured out of his cultural background since he had family here. He, like many before and hopefully all after, chose to immerse himself in the country he chose to live in. Wether he did so or not, wether anyone who comes here does so or doesn't is their choice. Their right. But it's just as much my right to speak of the frustration and disappointment in someone who chooses not to celebrate what Canada is. Does it make someone less Canadian is they support the old country? No not by right. Just by me. That's my right.

hmmm....

1) exactly what is Canada? and by whose definition?

2) Those who insist on supporting the visiting team need to understand that they run the risk of incurring the wrath of other Canadians who don't agree with them.

3) Any fan who disrespects the opposing team does not understand gamesmanship in my opinion. But many die hard fans will disagree with me.

What I have concluded is that the diversity of Canada and quality of the national teams will likely prevent the type of fan support and 'loyalty' that many will like to see at a National Team game played inside Canada.

Until we have a homogeneous population with identical cultural backgrounds, there will always be split loyalties at home games.

One way to overcome this reality is to prevent immigration or impose rules defining what it means to be a Canadian.

Another way to overcome this is perhaps to improve the quality and performance of the National team so fans will jump on the bandwagon and support a WINNER.

I am for the latter.

Edit: look how quickly a winning Canadian team will silence those who support a visiting team.

quote:Originally posted by Most Scottish Man in Cdn.

a) Why would you have a rental car if you lived in Montreal as you seem to be suggesting?

That's the point Sherlocke, very few Hondurans were travelling from Honduras and probably less of them bothered to rent a car to drive from a downtown hotel to the stadium. So the Hondurans driving around in CARS then were likely from Quebec (some from Ontario or the US east coast). Alot of these are Canadian-Hondurans who have settled here permanently and have planted roots, but yet feel the need to disrespect the country that has taken them in and helped them achieve a better life because of a Soccer game? 'great Canada!', yeah sure, it doesn't mean anything it's just a game and we feel Honduran blah, blah, blah. Do you think if you permanently moved to say Sweden and cheered for Canada against them in Hockey and then told them all to great themselves and the country of Sweden that would go down well!? And instilling these values in your Swedish-born children? I can see it now, little Olga and Matthias cheering for Canada and throwing beer on those Ikea buying doormats. Nice.

quote:Originally posted by Eric

I am a proud canadian but what you're saying here is bull s**t, I was at the U20's game in Toronto and those chilean fans were provoke by canadian security personnel and police, because I saw it with my own eyes they were just trying to get autographs from the players and the ignorant level of the canadian officers towards the sport culture, was what trigger the incident.

You missed the point completely. He was talking about the actual fans in the stands taunting Canada, the issue with the Chilean team and the police is a totally separate issue. What a disgrace that was to see Chilean-Canadians crap on the country they call home on Canada Day of all days. I still consider that day to be one of the low points of my life as a Canadian citizen. It was a total embarrassment.

Its pathetic that people would come to live in this country and hate on it all at the same time.

And please don't tell me I don't know anything about the immigrant experience, as I am the child of two immigrants living in one of the biggest ethnic ghettos in Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Eric

I think the complex you're talking about is the superiority one we all have when it comes down to countries with a weaker economy but not weaker sense of patriotism, you can't buy what soccer engrave in these people's harts when they were growing up.

Just like you can't take away the hockey player out of a canadian born.

No, I'm talking about the ones who were yelling in my face "Canada sucks, Canada sucks, Canada sucks". And who were trying to pull down my Canadian flag when I was waving it at the end of the game.

Archived