WCQ live on Sportsnet

masster

quote:Originally posted by paul-toronto

After thinking about the live broadcast issues on Sportnet, my conclusion is that they are not to blame.

The blame rests with the CSA that gave them the broadcast rights without conditions. (requiring live on main channel or else give it up to an alternative). Maybe the CSA did not think there would be as much support that actually seems to have emerged for the national team. OK..I guess it is too late to blame them as well.

I would rather see all games on the Score live.

All I can say is ...Next Time!

I've been told by someone who would know that the deal between the CSA and RSN requires that the game be broadcast barring a scheduling conflict that can't be rearranged.

I guess they felt that Jays-Yankees is a scheduling commitment that could not be bumped but a combination of our complaints and internal complaints changed some minds.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So let me get this straight just because I don't have all 4 sportsnet stations and I only have basic cable with sneast I cannot watch the game at 7:30 because of the blue jays? I mean hell that game is way more important than the blue jays who probably won't make the world series someone please correct me if I am wrong!

quote:Originally posted by paul-toronto

Ed, That makes sense. Otherwise there would be no need to repeat the game on Pacific and West. You are right; only if you have the digital box and get all 4 channels will you be able to watch it live.

This is still disappointing. There will be little or no advertising of the game...even the people who will see it on sportnet digital will be only the ones who are following WCQ. It does nothing for the casual fan that might get interested in the team.

Still think there should be a alternate broadcaster as a backup if sportnets cannot commit to proving it live for the country on basic cable. CSA should put that in their contracts next time.

Certainly the CSA can put that in their contract, but they certainly can do nothing about scheduling. Let face the facts....Rogers own Sportsnet....they also own the Blue Jays...the Jays get higher ratings than soccer and the contract with the Jays is for a longer period of time and because MLB release their entire season sked well before we have any clue of WCQ matches the Jays take precedent. The station would be in violation of their contract if they did not. I am completely on your side on this one, but consider yourself lucky that Rogers allowed soccer to go on to at least two regions of Sportsnet when their contract states Jays games are to be broadcast nationally.

As much as my knickers were in knots over this in the first place, now that the game is being aired on the Digital Feeds of Pacific and West I am a lot happier, because even if I don't subscribe to the all 4 SNet Channels (which i don't b/c I get sentanta) I can go to a pub an ensure I see the game live.

I'm still not satisfied. A game like this being at home and the first in the semi final round should be on all sportsnet channels. Plus there should be a 1 hour pre game show and a 1 hour post game show. There's only the 2 hour game and its back to the highly entertaining sport of baseball

quote:Originally posted by michaeltfc91

I'm still not satisfied. A game like this being at home and the first in the semi final round should be on all sportsnet channels. Plus there should be a 1 hour pre game show and a 1 hour post game show. There's only the 2 hour game and its back to the highly entertaining sport of baseball

as much as i like to see that.. its a little bit too much to ask for.. rogers owns the jays and the jays will draw more viewers than this wcq game.. sportsnet actually did a lot by opening up 2 of its channels to show this game after we bombarded them with complaints

Here is the response I received:

Thanks for your recent email. In general, our commitment is to air as

much Canadian soccer as possible. Talking specifically about

Wednesday's Canada/Jamaica match, circumstances prevent us from airing

it live across all of our channels. Because of the Blue Jay game that

was scheduled months before that soccer match, we are unable to air that

match live across all of our channels. What we are offering is that for

viewers who have all four Sportsnet channels, they can watch the soccer

match live on two of them. For viewers who only have our one channel,

they can watch it on tape delay later in the night. Our apologies that

you are unhappy with this decision.

Sincerely

Jim LaChapelle

Audience Relations

^yeah, me too...it shows after baseball on every station....in one region it shows the game airing at midnight after an hour of airplane slalom racing and 2 hours of sports news.

i am hoping that the press release was right and they show it live on at least one of the regions.

quote:Originally posted by royalcity

As I look at the schedule from Sportsnet itself those of us in the Pacific and Western regions can watch the game live at 4:30 (7:30 et) pacific time.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/tvschedule/?schedDate=20080820

Am I reading this wrong?

Check the upper right where it says "Select Region: Ontario" Select your region and you'll see it's only available if you have all 4 channels.

alright i just checked my SaskTel digital box i get sportsnet west and it shows the game at 11pm but it has brazil instead of jamacia haha im scared now haha. im seeing on here that i can watch it live but it shows the ble jay game on.

any sportsnet wst viewers have any answers to this?

I am living in South Korea, can I still watch the live stream or do you have to be in Canada to pick it up? I have tried to watch live streams from Canada in the past (TSN I believe), but could not gain access. Thanks in advance... Oh yeah, Can. 3 - Jam. 0 Radzinsk, Friend, de Guzman.

Sportsnet have gone the extra mile to give a lot of people access to this game. I understand the passion of some Voyageurs and wanting to have the game on all Sportsnet channels, but in this particular situation we got as much as we could realistically expect.

I for one am thanking Sportsnet for a very good decision in making the game available live on two of their channels and live on the net. It shows that there are people at the network that are actually thinking, and trying to please as many as possible.

Four years ago, we would have been forced to avoid all media outlets until the tape delayed game was shown.

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

Sportsnet have gone the extra mile to give a lot of people access to this game. I understand the passion of some Voyageurs and wanting to have the game on all Sportsnet channels, but in this particular situation we got as much as we could realistically expect.

I for one am thanking Sportsnet for a very good decision in making the game available live on two of their channels and live on the net. It shows that there are people at the network that are actually thinking, and trying to please as many as possible.

Four years ago, we would have been forced to avoid all media outlets until the tape delayed game was shown.

Amen to that!

quote:Originally posted by kcisoul

alright i just checked my SaskTel digital box i get sportsnet west and it shows the game at 11pm but it has brazil instead of jamacia haha im scared now haha. im seeing on here that i can watch it live but it shows the ble jay game on.

any sportsnet wst viewers have any answers to this?

In Saskatoon (and all the prairie provinces) it should be live on Sportsnet Pacific.

In Manitoba we only get 3 of the four digital channels with a digital cable box. Shaw dropped

one of the channels saying it shows all the same programing. I hope we will get the game live

even we are not able to have all four channels.

The TV schedule on Sportsnet's website shows soccer. However the schedule I get on my digital box shows Major League Snoreball on all four channels. Hopefully the website is correct, although I don't trust Sportsnet not to find some way of screwing this up.

quote:Originally posted by theaub

Soccer fans saying that is hilarious.

Seriously...the Jays game (especially against New York), will draw 3-4 times the viewing audience of the WCQ, possibly more.

Why? A soccer match only consumes 1hr 45min. It's very easy to watch. I find it VERY hard to believe that "3 or 4 times" more people would watch the baseball the WCQ (from beginning to end). Maybe in Ontario, but nation-wide? Doubt it highly...

Anyway, my local soccer pub only gets Sportsnet Ontario so I'm screwed... [V]

Archived