WCQ live on Sportsnet

masster

Ed, That makes sense. Otherwise there would be no need to repeat the game on Pacific and West. You are right; only if you have the digital box and get all 4 channels will you be able to watch it live.

This is still disappointing. There will be little or no advertising of the game...even the people who will see it on sportnet digital will be only the ones who are following WCQ. It does nothing for the casual fan that might get interested in the team.

Still think there should be a alternate broadcaster as a backup if sportnets cannot commit to proving it live for the country on basic cable. CSA should put that in their contracts next time.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by paul-toronto

Ed, That makes sense. Otherwise there would be no need to repeat the game on Pacific and West. You are right; only if you have the digital box and get all 4 channels will you be able to watch it live.

That makes sense to me, too. To whomever received that response from Sportsnet, how about asking them "what about those who don't have digital cable?" would be interesting to see the answer...

quote:Originally posted by Ed

It is digital cable only, otherwise they would not have specified 'for those viewers with all Sportsnet channels' in the release. So if you are in Sportsnet West territory, I believe the non-digital version will show baseball, have to go to Sportsnet Pacific for the soccer. Alternately, in Sportsnet Pacific territory, soccer on digital Sportsnet West.

This is correct. That is what I was trying to say earlier but Ed did a much better job.

since the wording is "live on Sportsnet West and Pacific for viewers with all Sportsnet channels." it means you need digitial to have access to all Sportsnet channels and therefore to watch the match live anywhere in Canada.

As I have seen in previous instances, this allows RSN to still show Blue Jays to their cable viewers while still providing an avenue for soccer to satisfy people like us. If they didn't even do this, they would have been simply idiots.

quote:Originally posted by Big Daddy K

That makes sense to me, too. To whomever received that response from Sportsnet, how about asking them "what about those who don't have digital cable?" would be interesting to see the answer...

go to the pub.

guys, lets be realistic....we may believe soccer is more important than oxygen and water (it is, right???) but Blue Jays baseball will always outdraw a soccer match. Lets be happy that it is available and if you don't have digital cable either get it, go to a friends house that does have it or go to the pub with some pals and watch it there

Guest speedmonk42
quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

I'd rather wax my bikini area than watch baseball. :(

With a name like "The Beaver" I really hope you do.

After thinking about the live broadcast issues on Sportnet, my conclusion is that they are not to blame.

The blame rests with the CSA that gave them the broadcast rights without conditions. (requiring live on main channel or else give it up to an alternative). Maybe the CSA did not think there would be as much support that actually seems to have emerged for the national team. OK..I guess it is too late to blame them as well.

I would rather see all games on the Score live.

All I can say is ...Next Time!

quote:Originally posted by paul-toronto

This is still disappointing. There will be little or no advertising of the game...even the people who will see it on sportnet digital will be only the ones who are following WCQ. It does nothing for the casual fan that might get interested in the team.

Still think there should be a alternate broadcaster as a backup if sportnets cannot commit to proving it live for the country on basic cable. CSA should put that in their contracts next time.

What about them bouncing the game over to their community channels across the GTA?

If I recall, they did this once or twice with a Blue Jay game.

Let's ask to have this done for the soccer game.

Archived