TFC vs. Independiente (R)

Gian-Luca

Can i nominate this for thread of the year? I love everything i've seen here so far.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

So after this blah, blah, blah, I do have a point: Why is TFC playing such a low tempo, lazy game if they are caoched by a firery Geordie? Maybe I'm being unfair, but the tempo has decreased to the point that the Caps were dictating the pace on the road at BMO. This is definitely a bad sign for Toronto. I agree that the fitness is better this year, but still not great.

Interesting comment. I think Mo Johnston pictures his team playing this direct style where the wingers run up and down the field non stop attacking the other team. That's why he was always talking us maybe not winning every game but scoring lots of goals last year.

Problems being, we don't have anybody who can consistantly give our wingers the ball and the defenders don't distrute well. On top of that you have the hot conditions of the summer which can wear down just about any team that chases the ball too much. Once the team starts to tire the offensive players come further and further back to defend and try to get the ball. Eventually, we just end up bunkering into that slow tempo style your mentioning.

We could write a 200 page thread about how bad Mo Johnston is when it comes to managing TFC, but it’s a start.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

It appears that all the gains made by having a dedicated fitness coach are being lost by the fact that Carver only has a defacto 13-14 player squad. He often does not use all his subs. And he rarely works other squad players into the games. After a stretch of a ton of games the players still get tired.

I think yours is a very valid point which is important to consider. But I also support the ideas about the technical skills of the average MLS player.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

It would be interesting to start a MOACA type thread for coaches. Rather than focusing on nationality, we could just make it for high level coaches in Canada -perhaps ranked by license or something. Could you two mind melded CSL followers make some suggestions of candidates? Ideally, I think, the list would link to an updated wiki page, which would also require some of your inside knowledge.

not a bad idea. I kinda like it. I'll ask some coaches I know to get their thoughts.

The Mother Of All Coaches In Canada list sounds like a great idea. Get everyone, their credentials and maybe even CV's out in the open for the public to see and scrutinize. Might even lead to some eye opening at the top and some shakeup for the greater good.

quote:Originally posted by Eric

I like that idea and I think VPjr should run it.

hey, first you read my mind and now you are volunteering me to do more work...thanks pal...;)

If I find enough support from coaches in the local community as a jumping off point, I'll be happy to manage the list.

It would be excellent to give recognition to the members of the soccer community who get little to no recognition but who do a tremendous amount of work.

Archived