Booing of National Anthem?

I remember when the Pan Am games were here last year and everytime the americans or the canadians got a medal, they were booed so loud. Its like when Bertuzzi touches the puck. Its soooooooooooo loud. To me, its disrespectful. You boo the team, not the anthem.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by way2goeh

I remember when the Pan Am games were here last year and everytime the americans or the canadians got a medal, they were booed so loud.

really? are they still pissed about the beef ban from 10 years ago? that's so lame!

you guys talking about booing another country anthem thats disrespectful to even think about it i would never boo the canadian anthem and plus i find canadians to be very nice and polite so that makes even worse as for that jamaicans living in canada crap u guys keep talking about nobody should boo an anthem jamaican canadian,jamaican or canadian nobody has an excuse everybody should show some class.

quote:Originally posted by jonomarch

you guys talking about booing another country anthem thats disrespectful to even think about it i would never boo the canadian anthem and plus i find canadians to be very nice and polite so that makes even worse as for that jamaicans living in canada crap u guys keep talking about nobody should boo an anthem jamaican canadian,jamaican or canadian nobody has an excuse everybody should show some class.

If you read the entire thread, I think you'll find the vast majority of posters agree with you in saying that there's no good reason to boo another team's anthem. Sure, maybe a few people here think it's a good idea, but those are their personal opinions, and you can't really paint everyone with the same brush. That would be like assuming all Jamaica fans were just like the numbskull on the 'Gae Boyz board who's babbling about fighting with the RCMP.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

really? are they still pissed about the beef ban from 10 years ago? that's so lame!

As I recall the media reports, the Brazilians in attendance were very democratic. They booed player introductions of pretty much any foreign nation, they booed players when fans should typically be silent, they cheered Brazilians when fans should typically be silent, they booed teams, and they booed their own teams when they weren't playing well.

All in all, a little more during the anthems wasn't a big deal. Apparently there were some significant attempts to "educate" fans about conduct at a multi-sport Games, and how it differs from a local soccer match. :)

Couldn't have been too bad - they're becoming favourites to host an Olympics based upon their Pan Am hosting.

quote:Originally posted by DontPanic

my 2 cents. Total silence for the Jamaica anthem. Sing as loud as possible for the Canadian one..

Holy crap that would be too funny. Imagine the whole crowd in complete silence, and the dj guy waits a good minute before starting the Canadian one. It'd be so akward for the jamaican players.

Actually, now that I think about it, it'd be awesome if everyone in the crowd and even the security guards and everyone just starred at the players with really pissed off looks like we were gonna kick the crap out of them. For a whole minute!! NOW THAT'S INTIMIDATING!!

No professional athletes will feel intimidated by being stared at by a crowd. No one is kicking the anything out of anyone. No anthems will be booed. Nothing will go down. Guys all this posturing is starting to make us look like 'tards. No offense to 'tards.

Archived