Nicest Canadian goal ever?

Daniel

Some might say the quick counter that lead to Hastings's goal in 2000, others might like the long-range efforts by JDG, Dero, Hume, Simpson or Grande, while others might be more of the thumping header school and vote Kusch, McKenna or Occean.

So what's your pick?

And videos are always appreciated.

PS: Has to be national team duty, any age and any gender.

My favourite team effort goal: Gold Cup 2007 vs. Guatemala. One touch passing from DeRo to Hutch to JdG to Gerba.

As far as a strike goes, that's one that I'm going to have to think on for a bit. I remember being awestruck by Simpson's goal against Burkina Faso in UAE when I first saw it but it's been several years since I saw it last and I don't know if it still measures up.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

My favourite team effort goal: Gold Cup 2007 vs. Guatemala. One touch passing from DeRo to Hutch to JdG to Gerba.

As far as a strike goes, that's one that I'm going to have to think on for a bit. I remember being awestruck by Simpson's goal against Burkina Faso in UAE when I first saw it but it's been several years since I saw it last and I don't know if it still measures up.

Agree for the team effort goal....that was beautifull passing and a nice finish by Ali.

As for the strikes, I like DeGuzman vs Brazil and DeRo vs CR in Toronto.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Hard to argue against that masterpiece of tic-tac-toe passing. Canada put on a clinic that day.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I'm thinking one of the nicest finishes by a Canadian player I've ever seen was Atiba's goal against Cuba in the 2005 Gold Cup. I have it on tape, but don't have the technological capability to put it on youtube.

I remember that goal clearly. Was that the 2-0 goal? Either way, Atiba's low hard drive from distance was world class.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Agreed the Gold Cup 2007 Tic-Tac-Toe against Guatemala was an eye opener. It gets my vote as favorite.

Great team goal, beginning with Hastings' interception of the Guat. clearence to Gerba's finished product.

quote:Originally posted by Toronto Ruffrider

I remember that goal clearly. Was that the 2-0 goal? Either way, Atiba's low hard drive from distance was world class.

It was the 2-0 goal, and the set up to it was pretty nice, with Canada under pressure (we had to win 3-0 to advance as a third place team), about 6 or 7 players touched the ball before a rebound fell right to Atiba, all started off by a sublime chip pass over two Cubans from DeRo to Simpson to volley into the box.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

September 2, 1999. Friendly against Jamaica in Toronto.

Jimmy Brennan flies down the left wing and fires a laser into the top corner. Pure class.

The memory cheats. That was a great goal but it actually came from a rugby-like sweep across the field by Canada, Stalteri to Kusch to Bircham who tees it up for Brennan to fire into the bottom right corner of the net. I've got that game on tape as well. [8D]

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Agreed the Gold Cup 2007 Tic-Tac-Toe against Guatemala was an eye opener. It gets my vote as favorite.

I TOTALLY agree. I've always rooted for Canada as hard as I could, but always had to conceed the world class form that european clubs make look so easy was hardly there. That one goal REALLY changed me. I was almost speechless. Now I really believe AND expect! We are a force in concacaf now, the rest of the world will find out soon.

quote:Originally posted by Scottie

My vote goes for JDG to Dero against costa rica, which also happened to be the first MNT goal I witnessed live.

Here's the vid (note the title):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bvmomKi9Biw&feature=related

and this one has dobson and forrest's commentary (they didn't see it coming!):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=p9o3t3LtxWM

It's funny, I was at that game but I forgot just how good that goal was until watching it again there. I hope Dero has plenty more of them in him over the next few years.

Edmonton - Eddie Berdusco in 1994 scoring the equalizer against a full Brazil squad prior to them winning the World Cup.... Not because it was the prettiest goal, but because it was scored in front of 53,000 pro Canada fans - and it saved Craig Forrest's best performance I've ever seen....(tried but couldn't find the video)......

Berdusco's goal is a highlight for me. Not the most outstanding, but a pure goalscorer's goal against the best team in the world, at the time. I think I have it on VHS. Must look to convert it! Oh, and by the way, how about those "Score" jerseys. Proud to say, I own one and wore it to the St VAG game!

Archived