Canada/SVG articles

nolando

Canada gets leg up in World Cup qualifier

Sunday, June 15, 2008

THE CANADIAN PRESS

KINGSTOWN, St. Vincent -- Issey Nakajima-Farran opened the scoring in the 32nd minute and Canada went on to beat St. Vincent & the Grenadines 3-0 Sunday in the first leg of a two-match qualifying series for the 2010 World Cup.

Ali Gerba, who came on for the injured Rob Friend after only seven minutes, scored a pair of goals, the first coming two minutes from the break and the second two minutes from full time.

It was only the second meeting ever between the two countries following the Canada's 2-0 victory at the Arnos Vale Playing Field in the early 1980's.

The return leg is set for next Friday at the Saputo Stadium in Montreal.

Seemingly unaffected by the afternoon's 30 C heat, the Canadians never allowed the Vincentians to settle, taking control of the midfield with ease as Julian de Guzman, captain Paul Stalteri and Tomasz Radzinski all combined with short passes to overcome the steamy conditions.

"We knew that the heat would be a factor but our intention was to play at a comfortable pace and keep control of the ball," said Canadian head coach Dale Mitchell.

SVG, however, came close to taking the lead in the 27th minute, but Marlon James' low shot was saved by Pat Onstad's outstretched leg while on the ground.

The visitors took the lead when Mike Klukowski involved de Guzman and Dwayne De Rosario before ending with Nakajima-Farran hitting a right foot past SVG goalkeeper Melvin Andrews.

The nimble Gerba made it 2-0 in the 38th when he collected a pass from de Guzman, and with the SVG defenders appealing for offside, he struck the ball low to Andrews' left.

De Rosario once more breached the defence and quickly played the ball to Gerba who calmly slotted home the third goal in the 89th minute.

James, who was the leading scorer in the Malaysian Football League, was stifled by Canada's Adrian Serioux, allowing him little space throughout the match.

The Canadians found the net in the 60th again through Gerba, but this time it was ruled offside.

Patrice Bernier replaced De Guzman in the 72nd minute and Jim Brennan came on for Radzinski in the 85th.

De Rosario came close to scoring in the 12th but only succeeded in hitting the ball wide from the edge of the box.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/2008/06/15/canada_world_cup_qualifier/

give credit where credit is due - this is good article full of lots of info. If Friend was a no-go why not call OO in - will somebody PLEASE ask??

Canada confident heading into second leg

The Canadian Press

June 18, 2008

MONTREAL — The lush grass pitch at the new Saputo Stadium proved more than acceptable for Paul Stalteri, captain of Canada's national soccer team.

“It's fantastic,” the veteran defender for English club Fulham said Wednesday after his team's first workout at the host stadium for their World Cup qualifying match against St. Vincent and the Grenadines.

“I can't remember the last time I've been on a pitch in Canada that's so nice and flush and flat and smooth. It's up there with the best in Europe.”

Canada hopes to use the Saputo surface, at the wide end of regulation size, to dazzle the Caribbean islanders for a second match in a row when they meet on Friday night. The Canadians emerged from the first leg of the two-game total-goals series with a 3-0 victory in St. Vincent on Sunday.

A win would put Canada into Stage 3 of qualifying in the CONCACAF zone, which will be a round robin tournament against Mexico, Honduras and Jamaica beginning in August.

The top two from that group reach the final qualifying stage, a six-team round robin in which the top three go to the World Cup in South Africa in 2010. The fourth-place team also has a chance, but must beat the fifth-place side from South America.

“It's been a while since a Canadian team has gone away and come home with a 3-0 result, so it puts us in a very good position,” added Stalteri. “It's a great confidence booster for us and hopefully, with the same kind of effort, we'll come away with the result that puts us in the next round.”

Absent from training on Wednesday was striker Ali Gerba, who scored Canada's second and third goals in St.Vincent, and forward Rob Friend.

Gerba, a Montreal resident recently let go by German club Ingolstat, stayed home for personal reasons but is to rejoin the team for practice on Thursday and will be available to play. Friend, who plays for German side Borussia Monchengladbach, suffered back spasms on Sunday and will not play.

There was concern for midfield star Julian de Guzman, who strained a knee and an Achilles tendon in an exhibition game against Brazil three weeks ago, but he started in St. Vincent and said he's fit to go on Friday night.

There was speculation that coach Dale Mitchell would use the home game and the team's comfortable lead to make lineup changes, particularly to start players with a local following such as midfielder Patrice Bernier, defender Andre Hainault and goalkeeper Greg Sutton, formerly with the Montreal Impact and now with Toronto FC.

But Mitchell cautioned against celebrating too soon.

“There's a couple of guys we want to look at, but (a three-goal lead) is not really enough to play around with too much,” he said. “An early goal and momentum shifts away and a lot can happen, so we'll put a very strong line-up out.

“There's a temptation (to use locals), but you can never be sentimental as a coach. You have to pick the strongest lineup for the match.”

Mostly, Mitchell wants his team to immerse itself in World Cup atmosphere to prepare for tougher matches in the next round.

A good crowd is expected at the 13,054-seat stadium,which was chosen for this match over the official national stadium, BMO Field in Toronto, because it has a grass surface.

Despite Mitchell's fears, this should be an easy series. Canada is ranked 60th in the world, while St. Vincent, an island group with a population of only 120,000, is ranked 147th.

“We're up 3-0 — we're not going to be naive about things,” added Stalteri. “The game is technically won, as long as they don't score four goals on Friday.

“So we'll go out there and hopefully, put on a good show for the fans. The important thing is to get the result.”

An interested spectator at practice was Sandro Grande, a sometime national team player recovering from surgery on both knees. He has been sidelined for eight months, but has resumed training. After three years playing in Norway, he hopes to catch on with an Italian club next season.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080618.wspt-cancup18/GSStory/GlobeSportsSoccer/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20080618.wspt-cancup18

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/sports/080619/s061956A.html

Great article...........add Edmonton to the list !

While I sympathize that it may be "unfair" (as De Guzman puts it) to play games in Edmonton, that game (assuming it happens) will take place 4 days after Canada plays in either Mexico, Jamaica or Honduras. They won't be jumping several time zones to play in Edmonton, they'll be travelling north, but that was going to happen anyway.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

While I sympathize that it may be "unfair" (as De Guzman puts it) to play games in Edmonton, that game (assuming it happens) will take place 4 days after Canada plays in either Mexico, Jamaica or Honduras. They won't be jumping several time zones to play in Edmonton, they'll be travelling north, but that was going to happen anyway.

No additional time zones but one hell of a travel hassle without a charter flight. Getting from any of those places to Edmonton means two connections and a massive travel day. Not to mention the extra connection they'll likely need to get back to Europe after the game. Let's not make our players put up with crap they don't have to so they can focus on winning!

De Guzman said the players want all their games to be played at Saputo Stadium in Montreal, which is in the east and has a grass field, but the Canadian Soccer Association has made commitments for games to be played at BMO Field in Toronto, which has artificial turf, and in Edmonton, which is eight time zones from Europe.

"That's totally unfair to us," said de Guzman. "Stuff like that will affect us immensely going into the World Cup.

"We feel we're very comfortable here."

Great stuff - they have really thrown their support behind the MTL (and met yet another vocal show of oposition against BMO) stadium, which is nice, but those next three homes games have surely all been alloted by now, right?

Would they wave a flag for Canada?

By Mark Cripps, Tales from the Crypt

Jun 20, 2008

One of my favourite soccer players is Paul Stalteri. This Canadian soccer star of Italian descent was born in Etobicoke, Ontario.

Stalteri has played the majority of his soccer career in Europe, where he has been a key, starting roster player no matter what jersey he wore.

In the English Premiership, considered the greatest soccer league on the planet, Stalteri had a lengthy stay in Tottenham. This past season, he played in Fulham (on loan), and helped that team avoid relegation from England's top-tier league.

Stalteri is also the current captain of Canada's National men's soccer team, which is currently looking to qualify for the 2010 world cup.

I wasn't inbred with an appreciation for what is known to many as 'footie' 'calcio' or 'football'. No, my soccer passion has developed over the past 10 years. I watch as much soccer these days as hockey. I love the game. I remember how people would always say that soccer is boring. I couldn't disagree more.

Over the past month, Canada's National soccer team has accomplished some incredible feats.

There's a lot of people out there who call themselves soccer aficionados. I wonder how many could tell me about Paul Stalteri's accomplished soccer career. Or how about Julian de Guzman? He is one Canada's greatest players right now. He's from Toronto as well, and plays in the best league in Spain. Or how about Dwayne De Rosario? Another Canadian soccer star for Houston of North America's No. 1 soccer league, the MLS.

Many soccer gurus are saying that Canada has fielded one of its best international and World Cup teams in our young history as a soccer nation.

Recently, Canada won a key game en route to qualifying for the 2010 World Cup, defeating St. Vincent and the Grenadines 3-0.

Tonight (June 20), in Montreal, is the rematch to see who goes on to the next round.

Canada's men's national team must win its two-match set to advance to Stage III of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa Qualifiers (August to November 2008). Canada looks good to make it to the next round.

Canada's men's national team is looking to get back to the FIFA World Cup for the first time since 1986. From within CONCACAF, three or four teams (out of 35 total or 24 remaining) will represent the confederation at South Africa 2010. The Canadian men are currently ranked fourth in CONCACAF based on the most recent FIFA/Coca-Cola World Rankings. Canada also had a top-four finish at last year's CONCACAF Gold Cup by reaching the semi-final.

So, my question is this - if Canada wins this game, will anyone wave a Canadian flag down the streets of Hamilton?

Greg Sutton, Canada's starting goaltender, and member of the Toronto FC, was born and still calls Hamilton home. Will I be the only one waving a flag for a local boy over a player and team from another nation?

The reality is over the next week, the only flags we'll see will be of other nations, as the European-first soccer mentality takes precedence over true nationality.

The European Cup 2008 has brought out all the little car flags once again.

The landscape, of course, is dominated by flags with red, green and white, and the conspiracy theories about the Azzurri have run rampant as they stumbled to good fortune and a date in the quarter-finals.

As Canada looks to advance to the next round of the World Cup, the reality is few will even care. On Sunday, Italy will play Spain. Depending on the outcome, it will either be a sea of red, green and white, or there will be a lot of miserable Italians on Monday.

Some people scoff when you ask them who they would cheer for if Canada were to play Italy or Argentina in a world cup game? What if Canada squared off against England. Would the St. George cross be hanging off cars on the Linc?

If Canada and Italy played a World Cup game, how would you feel if born-and-raised Canadians drove up and down the street waving the flag of another nation? I know how I'd feel.

Here's another trivia question for the soccer fans out there. Name another major recent accomplishment of Canada's national soccer team.

Just about a month ago, Canada almost defeated one of the world's top soccer nations - Brazil - in a friendly game.

Some late game magic lifted Brazil (ranked No. 2 in the world) to a 3-2 win over Canada. Many said Canada should have won the game.

In my mind, a fan of the beautiful game of soccer would be as proud of a win by Team Canada as a win by the Italian, Polish, Portuguese or German National teams.

But I don't see anyone attaching one of those stupid flags on their car when Team Canada is in a major soccer tournament.

I look forward to the day when Canada squares off against Italy or Portugal in a soccer match of significance.

Then we'll see who the true patriots are.

http://www.dundasstarnews.com/opinions/article/133379

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Jun 20, 2008

One of my favourite soccer players is Paul Stalteri. This Canadian soccer star of Italian descent was born in Etobicoke, Ontario.

Stalteri has played the majority of his soccer career in Europe, where he has been a key, starting roster player no matter what jersey he wore.

In the English Premiership, considered the greatest soccer league on the planet, Stalteri had a lengthy stay in Tottenham. This past season, he played in Fulham (on loan), and helped that team avoid relegation from England's top-tier league.

Stalteri is also the current captain of Canada's National men's soccer team, which is currently looking to qualify for the 2010 world cup.

I wasn't inbred with an appreciation for what is known to many as 'footie' 'calcio' or 'football'. No, my soccer passion has developed over the past 10 years. I watch as much soccer these days as hockey. I love the game. I remember how people would always say that soccer is boring. I couldn't disagree more.

Over the past month, Canada's National soccer team has accomplished some incredible feats.

There's a lot of people out there who call themselves soccer aficionados. I wonder how many could tell me about Paul Stalteri's accomplished soccer career. Or how about Julian de Guzman? He is one Canada's greatest players right now. He's from Toronto as well, and plays in the best league in Spain. Or how about Dwayne De Rosario? Another Canadian soccer star for Houston of North America's No. 1 soccer league, the MLS.

Many soccer gurus are saying that Canada has fielded one of its best international and World Cup teams in our young history as a soccer nation.

Recently, Canada won a key game en route to qualifying for the 2010 World Cup, defeating St. Vincent and the Grenadines 3-0.

Tonight (June 20), in Montreal, is the rematch to see who goes on to the next round.

Canada's men's national team must win its two-match set to advance to Stage III of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa Qualifiers (August to November 2008). Canada looks good to make it to the next round.

Canada's men's national team is looking to get back to the FIFA World Cup for the first time since 1986. From within CONCACAF, three or four teams (out of 35 total or 24 remaining) will represent the confederation at South Africa 2010. The Canadian men are currently ranked fourth in CONCACAF based on the most recent FIFA/Coca-Cola World Rankings. Canada also had a top-four finish at last year's CONCACAF Gold Cup by reaching the semi-final.

So, my question is this - if Canada wins this game, will anyone wave a Canadian flag down the streets of Hamilton?

Greg Sutton, Canada's starting goaltender, and member of the Toronto FC, was born and still calls Hamilton home. Will I be the only one waving a flag for a local boy over a player and team from another nation?

The reality is over the next week, the only flags we'll see will be of other nations, as the European-first soccer mentality takes precedence over true nationality.

The European Cup 2008 has brought out all the little car flags once again.

The landscape, of course, is dominated by flags with red, green and white, and the conspiracy theories about the Azzurri have run rampant as they stumbled to good fortune and a date in the quarter-finals.

As Canada looks to advance to the next round of the World Cup, the reality is few will even care. On Sunday, Italy will play Spain. Depending on the outcome, it will either be a sea of red, green and white, or there will be a lot of miserable Italians on Monday.

Some people scoff when you ask them who they would cheer for if Canada were to play Italy or Argentina in a world cup game? What if Canada squared off against England. Would the St. George cross be hanging off cars on the Linc?

If Canada and Italy played a World Cup game, how would you feel if born-and-raised Canadians drove up and down the street waving the flag of another nation? I know how I'd feel.

Here's another trivia question for the soccer fans out there. Name another major recent accomplishment of Canada's national soccer team.

Just about a month ago, Canada almost defeated one of the world's top soccer nations - Brazil - in a friendly game.

Some late game magic lifted Brazil (ranked No. 2 in the world) to a 3-2 win over Canada. Many said Canada should have won the game.

In my mind, a fan of the beautiful game of soccer would be as proud of a win by Team Canada as a win by the Italian, Polish, Portuguese or German National teams.

But I don't see anyone attaching one of those stupid flags on their car when Team Canada is in a major soccer tournament.

I look forward to the day when Canada squares off against Italy or Portugal in a soccer match of significance.

Then we'll see who the true patriots are.

http://www.dundasstarnews.com/opinions/article/133379

As a fan who made the trek from calgary to montreal, this article brings a tear to my eye. Too damn true.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Jun 20, 2008

Huh? Methinks some further study and research is needed.

I don't really agree with the author. You just have to remember that soccer has not been a big sport in Canada. Canadians in general never really cared about it.

Now to get angry at europeans for those flags would be wrong if Canada was to qualify for the World Cup.

Those italians/portg/etc... would be cheering for Canada, no doubt about it. As for putting those flags, some will do it but not most. Only after the rest of the Canadian public takes to soccer like hockey will that happen.

We have a struggle just to get live TV broadcasts of WCQ games for Canada.:( When these changes happen and soccer becomes really big here (and I know it will) almost as big as hockey, things will change and you will see the Canadian flags everywhere.

In my view he was taking a narrow minded approach.

I also agree with Daniel that the ones that usually don't have flags on cars will be the first ones to put them on. I would expect lots with 2 different flags too(of course one would be Canada's). WCQ would hopefully be confirmation that the game has come a long way in Canada.

Archived