Canadian Scoring Stats.......

quote:Originally posted by Alex

Changed those for you. Also Hutchinson has 3 goals for us. CSA says he only has two. I remember he scored last cycle against Honduras, gold cup 05 (i think) against Cuba which was a rocket shot and also he scored last March against Bermuda. Im pretty sure the CSA left out his Cuba goal.

I was trying to remember his total in Montreal and thought he was now 13. With 15 goals, he may break the record or come very close during the next round.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if that actually happened I'd for the first time in my life be ready for a lynching. I doubt DM is that pathetic (and suicidal) to pull one of those.

edit: and with a record like 19 goals, it's going to get romped as we hit another level of game class. within 20 years we should have somebody beating the 30 goal mark.

• 3 years later...

All-time goal leaders:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/players/male.asp?sort=11d

De Ro could easily be #1 on this list by this time next week.

All-time caps leaders:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/players/male.asp?sort=10d

De Ro will move up a few spots. Of the remaining active players Hutchinson (54 caps) and McKenna (53) are highest ranked and could move into the top 10 all-time by next year.

I believe your prediction will come true after these next 6 games. Frankly, I think De Ro deserves much more praise than many of the Vs give him. Considering his club prowess, with MLS championships and goals of the year, topping our all time goal leading table is fitting and will give him the long term credit he justly deserves.

All-time goal leaders:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/players/male.asp?sort=11d

De Ro could easily be #1 on this list by this time next week.

All-time caps leaders:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/players/male.asp?sort=10d

De Ro will move up a few spots. Of the remaining active players Hutchinson (54 caps) and McKenna (53) are highest ranked and could move into the top 10 all-time by next year.

I believe your prediction will come true after these next 6 games. Frankly, I think De Ro deserves much more praise than many of the Vs give him. Considering his club prowess, with MLS championships and goals of the year, topping our all time goal leading table is fitting and will give him the long term credit he justly deserves.

I agree. Ever since the cheque signing incident DeRo has been crucified on this board. While I certainly didn't appreciate the cheque signing gesture I realize he is in the debate for the best Canadian player all-time (club and country). People comment on his "selfish playing style". When I watch him I always want him to be more selfish - he easily has the best boot on the national team and can be such a game-changer. But alas, Torontonians in particular, and Canadians in general, will have no love for a Canadian athlete that shows a bit of bravado in their attitude.

I agree. Ever since the cheque signing incident DeRo has been crucified on this board. While I certainly didn't appreciate the cheque signing gesture I realize he is in the debate for the best Canadian player all-time (club and country). People comment on his "selfish playing style". When I watch him I always want him to be more selfish - he easily has the best boot on the national team and can be such a game-changer. But alas, Torontonians in particular, and Canadians in general, will have no love for a Canadian athlete that shows a bit of bravado in their attitude.

If his boot takes us to Brazil I think the whole attitude towards him will take a change. Overall I do agree he doesn't get enough praise as you could argue him being the best goal scorer our nation has ever produced.

Mitchell 19

Catliff 18

DeRosario 18

Bunbury 16

Gerba 15

Corazzin 11

Pesch 11

McKenna 10

Radzinski 10

Stalteri 7

DeGuzman 4

Simpson 3

Hutchison 3

Friend 2

Hume 2

Jackson 2

Occean 2

Bolded are forwards with at least 19 caps for Canada, but only 2 goals. People like to rag on Friend, but the lack of performance of the others is equally problematic.

More that anything, that list speaks to the plight of canadian soccer over the past hundred years. Unbelievably, our top goal scorer has only nineteen goals. thats a dubious ahievement in itself and probably explains why the CSA doesnt go out of its way to mark those accomplishments.

The list below lists the top goal scorers for each country going by the highest number to the lowest number of goals. We fail to crack the top ninety five in the world. Maybe not even top 100.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_international_association_football_goal_scorers_by_country

More that anything, that list speaks to the plight of canadian soccer over the past hundred years. Unbelievably, our top goal scorer has only nineteen goals. thats a dubious ahievement in itself and probably explains why the CSA doesnt go out of its way to mark those accomplishments.

The list below lists the top goal scorers for each country going by the highest number to the lowest number of goals. We fail to crack the top ninety five in the world. Maybe not even top 100.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_international_association_football_goal_scorers_by_country

Obviously Canada's spot on this list points to some pretty significant problems.

In defense of the individual players, though, that have failed to get into the 20s:

1) A majority of the scoring leaders near the top of that table have over 100 caps for their country. Our man De Ro has 64.

2) Unlike most of the players up the list, Canada rarely plays in matches where we are the favourites. These recent matches against Caribbean minnows are the exception. Compare with, say, Stern John, who has played several dozen of his matches and scored at least 20 of his goals against piss poor opponents. Again, this doesn't say much for our national team, but goes some way to explaining why there aren't many Canadians with lots of goals.

This round of qualifying would have been a chance for a few guys to seriously pad their stats but so far the goals have really been spread around (7 goals by 6 players).

Obviously Canada's spot on this list points to some pretty significant problems.

In defense of the individual players, though, that have failed to get into the 20s:

1) A majority of the scoring leaders near the top of that table have over 100 caps for their country. Our man De Ro has 64.

2) Unlike most of the players up the list, Canada rarely plays in matches where we are the favourites. These recent matches against Caribbean minnows are the exception. Compare with, say, Stern John, who has played several dozen of his matches and scored at least 20 of his

goals against piss poor opponents. Again, this doesn't say much for our national team, but goes some way to explaining why there aren't many Canadians with lots of goals.

This round of qualifying would have been a chance for a few guys to seriously pad their stats but so far the goals have really been spread around (7 goals by 6 players).

Ooh! I dont know about that Jon. Look at the goals per game column on that list, one or two are under 0.30. I did a little reasearch on this about four or five years ago in regards to Paul peschisolido. He has 55 caps give or take one or two but has only 11 goals (0.25 goals per game). Of those eleven goals, all but two were against conacacaf minnows (like Bermuda where he scored a few). Of the two remaining who were against non minnows, onely one was in a WCQ match. Pesch is in our top five.

Radzinski, was making headlines in europe (Champions league and Belgium) in the early part of the last decade for his goal scoring. In terms of reputation and pedigree, he has more of it than many on that Wikipedia list. But now that all is said and done as far as his career, when has he ever scored an important goal for us in key WCQ match? In the last cycle he potted in that game versus mexico in Edmonton. But we were already eliminated by then.

Its not the number of caps thats missing for us. We have a lot players with a lot of caps. Even compared to players on that list. That list also has several new countries that have emerged in the past fifteen years as result of the soviet break up and end of the eastern block. Also, we are mid to upper power in concacaf, we are in teh top twelve but in europe a middle power has several on that list.

Edit: also, keep in mind that we there are far more minnows in Concacaf compared to europe. There are mayby five real minnows in europe out of 55-60 countries. Whereas in CONCACAF, out 35 nations, all but 12-14 are minnows. Many of the players on that list are from european sides.

^ I guess part of the point I'm trying to make is that there is not a very strong correlation between the # of goals of a country's top scorer and the strength of that country as a soccer nation. Brazil, Argentina and early-century Hungary are up there, but so are Egypt, Iran, T&T, Iraq and Kuwait.

I think the point about Caps is a good one. As well, we do not get to play the CONCACAF minnows very often. Even at the Gold Cup we have never gotten a true minnow in our group (Guadelope isn't a full member so the stats don't count - and they are not a minnow in CONCACAF anyway). So, we've had a couple of home and away - Belieze, SVG the last two WC go arounds, but this is the first time we get an extended run against the minnows. Don't get me wrong, we have not had a lot of talent at striker over the years, but Stern John scored a lot of his 70 goals against Carribean minnows. Not to diminish John's ability, because he score a lot against quality opposition and 70 goals is a huge accomplishment.

How could Messi have already 61 Caps? are you sure about that? he is about twenty four so that means that he would ahve been on the senior team for four years give or take earlier call ups. so you are saying that he has played an average of 15 games per year for argentina over that past four years? at that rate he'll have some 140 caps by the time he is thirty.

Archived