More Tam news

Jimmy

When I was on my travels I remember being able to access a computer and asking about how Klukowski was doing at CB for Brugges but wasn't able to see any response to my inquiry. Though I know I'm off topic for this thread, I was wondering how he made out in that position at club level, since I see that two of you here have slotted him in as an MNT CB starter.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

Tam mostly played Right Mid for us back in the holger days. against Hungary, he owned the right wing and he was playing RB. he can play there just fine. or in the middle, whatever, just think he should play.

I cannot imagine a 34 year old Radzinki bettering his production from 4 years ago (ie zero goals in 4 games played, as striker).

but if everyone else happens to have confidence in radzinski, i will fall in line and follow blindly.

I don't recall Tam on the wing, but it is odd as he did play right mid with AEK in what I saw. And add to that the fact that Julian has played pushing from the middle up the right side as well, though more last season than this. I think they are quite similar so you have to let the one who is better take the main role and give another role to the other.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by BearcatSA

When I was on my travels I remember being able to access a computer and asking about how Klukowski was doing at CB for Brugges but wasn't able to see any response to my inquiry. Though I know I'm off topic for this thread, I was wondering how he made out in that position at club level, since I see that two of you here have slotted him in as an MNT CB starter.

Klukowski regularly played 90 minutes for Bruges who finished third this year, 3 points off Anderlecht in 2nd. A good solid level from him and decent pro level. Though we haven't really seen him much.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I don't recall Tam on the wing, but it is odd as he did play right mid with AEK in what I saw. And add to that the fact that Julian has played pushing from the middle up the right side as well, though more last season than this. I think they are quite similar so you have to let the one who is better take the main role and give another role to the other.

Tam played in the Right Wingback role a few times under Holger, most famously against the US in the SF's of the 2002 GC when he shut down DeMarcus Beasely. Tam did play some RM this year, but mostly in the Dmid role behind Rivaldo. I think when AEK added Edinho over the winter break that spelt the end of Tam playing on the right.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Klukowski regularly played 90 minutes for Bruges who finished third this year, 3 points off Anderlecht in 2nd. A good solid level from him and decent pro level. Though we haven't really seen him much.

Thanks for replying, Jeffrey. If he's had a regular run in that position at club level and performed well enough, then by all means he should be given major consideration for one of the CB spots.

Nsaliwa's reintroduction to the MNT will not only add depth but jazz up the competition for starting spots. I'm curious to see how that plays out down the road: I wonder if we'll see one or two individuals take on a "if I'm not starting, I'm not coming" approach. Hopefully, none.

another thing to consider is whether his appearance in a friendly for sure means the citizenship issue has been cleared up. does the ineligibility apply equally to friendlies and official matches? i guess it would.

really thought this would take longer to clear up. if so, the CSA is on somewhat of a roll as of late. the brazil match, using stade saputo for wcq to make the players happy, an organized supporters section, and now taking care of nsaliwa. the CSA is actually doing things to help the team qualify. cant believe it. when i die im going to ask my family to put rock salt in my coffin bc hell will be frozen over.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I would like to see Tam tried in central defense, to provide a bit of speed at that position.

Actually, Panionios last season had him play in the central defence a few times. I remember him holding his own quite well, though he was inconsistent with his long passing.

From the matches I saw with AEK this season, I would agree with jpg75 as to what position Tam played for the club.

another thing to consider is whether his appearance in a friendly for sure means the citizenship issue has been cleared up. does the ineligibility apply equally to friendlies and official matches? i guess it would.

really thought this would take longer to clear up. if so, the CSA is on somewhat of a roll as of late. the brazil match, using stade saputo for wcq to make the players happy, an organized supporters section, and now taking care of nsaliwa. the CSA is actually doing things to help the team qualify. cant believe it. when i die im going to ask my family to put rock salt in my coffin bc hell will be frozen over.

The CSA would be on a roll if they actually promote the game at BMO...

their's no reason why it shouldn't be able to sell out.

i don't know why some of you keep insisting on putting Kluklowski in the central defender role. He have never played there in his life (other than I think half a season years ago at la louviere as injury cover) and I for one would not like to see a full back moved inside to such a crucial position. I think the options are McKenna and Serioux with Hainault the 2nd choice (could have been higher if he was playing regularly). I would even consider putting Nsaliwa there if 2 of those 3 are injured as he played there somewhat last year. Also, Imoff has played the position longer than Kluklowski. If we are really stuck, Edgar would be an option as at least he has had some premiership minutes and that is his natural position.

I can't tell from the match reports, but someone mentioned that Kluks had been playing CB for the last couple of months. He also slid over to play CB against Northern Ireland when Gervais got red-carded. He's 6'1", fast and a decent defender with strong passing skills. I say why not give him a shot since we're so deep at LB and weak at the CB spot.

I forgot to mention Hastings in my lineup. The guy's been consistent, moreso than Hainault so i'd use him before any of the young guys.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

i don't know why some of you keep insisting on putting Kluklowski in the central defender role. He have never played there in his life (other than I think half a season years ago at la louviere as injury cover) and I for one would not like to see a full back moved inside to such a crucial position. I think the options are McKenna and Serioux with Hainault the 2nd choice (could have been higher if he was playing regularly). I would even consider putting Nsaliwa there if 2 of those 3 are injured as he played there somewhat last year. Also, Imoff has played the position longer than Kluklowski. If we are really stuck, Edgar would be an option as at least he has had some premiership minutes and that is his natural position.

I understand where you are coming from with your reasoning. That's why I asked earlier how much he has played CB at club level this season and how well he has performed during that spell. Evaluation and selection is based on what a player is doing now. If he has had good reviews and looks and feels comfortable in that position, then it is worthwhile to have a look at him there during training because he brings to CB what Hutch did during GC 05: confident ball playing skills, speed, and some anticipation, though I am not convinced he possesses the physical strengths you'd look for in a day in, day out CB. Personally, I would prefer him as the first choice left back

It seems like Serioux has had some good press for his recent work in Dallas' back line, so I wouldn't mind seeing him getting another look, as he did in the September Costa Rica match. Overall, the CB situation is one that always bears watching.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

I also follow the national team of Peru, and there is a Peruvian kid on kluka's team, bruges. there is a poster on the peru big soccer forum who regularly gives updates on bruges, and he is the one who told me that kluka has been playing as CB ever since bruges went to a 3 man backline, which i think was after the winter break, or maybe before.

kluka is the perfect pairing for mckenna, and is superior to any of hastings, serioux, or hainault.

quote:Originally posted by jpg75

Let's not forget that alot of our players have played multiple positions throughout their careers so there is some versatility on the roster.

True, but I always believe that for a great many players you get the most out of an individual when you play him in a position he regularly performs in at club level, regardless of the tactics or formation his club side uses. I think back to Eddie Lewis being used as a left back by the US in the last WC when I believe he spent a great of his club season that year as a left flank midfielder: he just didn't look like he had a grasp of the defensive responsibilities of the position.

kluka is the perfect pairing for mckenna, and is superior to any of hastings, serioux, or hainault.

Well, if he has been playing there on a regular basis and has been getting good reviews, it's worth a look, right? It's an area that I not particularly comfortable with (along with the back up right back for the Diesel, though Nsaliwa could slot in there in a pinch)

Archived