Whitecaps v Galaxy Pt. II [R]

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Well gosh that was a challenge. I didn't have to look too hard to find that Edmonton drew more than that for a U20 friendly vs Brasil.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2450

I don't want to turn this into another Edmonton as host debate but the post by the fellow in Kingston was bull****.

Well done but my point is still the same, the crowds in Canada for U-20 friendlies are pretty impressive so using the 2008 Argentina game as an example of bad support from Toronto is a pretty weak argument.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by fishmanAnything before the May long-weekend in Edmonton is a crap shoot. I don't think it is fair to now compare grass to Field Turf based on last night. I have played extensively on Field Turf, and my opinion is this: give me a GOOD grass pitch every time, but for most areas of Canada, Field Turf is an excellent alternative. I would have preferred playing at Clarke next door than on Commonwealth yesterday...by late June? Commonwealth, please.

Only the Mexico game would be played in mid-October, after a whole season of Eskimos football and in "Edmonton weather". The pitch in *September* wasn't very good last time around.

And a V's section of 18 people? How much bigger would it get for a Mexico game? Maybe to 50? 60?

We'll have a better pitch and better organised support out East for this game, if it matters.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I've been to two of the first three matches, including Montreal, and I can say he's been very, very solid for the Caps.

I look forward to seeing him play live on July 1.

Even though the game last night was crap, the Whitecaps showed that they could play, and they (along with Montreal) will certainly be up for their games against TFC.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Only the Mexico game would be played in mid-October, after a whole season of Eskimos football and in "Edmonton weather". The pitch in *September* wasn't very good last time around.

And a V's section of 18 people? How much bigger would it get for a Mexico game? Maybe to 50? 60?

We'll have a better pitch and better organised support out East for this game, if it matters.

Last I heard, the V's supported the national teams, not the Vancouver Whitecaps or the LA Galaxy. You are making some impressive leaps in logic there. Let's see, 20K for Mexico on plastic, 10K for Mexico on better grass, or 40K to see Canada advance to the hex? What do I prefer?

Brain fart on my part that it wasn't a national team game.

Still - for games that matter, Edmonton simply can't match the numbers of active supporters, who're used to cheering week in, week out, that will come out in Toronto or Montreal for a game. That, to me, is the main part. The Mexicans will be loud, and it's up to the active supporters (the V's) to be there in the greatest number possible, and that's not likely for Edmonton in the semi-final round.

The best time for an exhibition game in Edmonton would be just before the Eskimos have the field lined. It's early summer, the grass will have time to grow, the weather will be better and teams from overseas will be in their break.

The Whitecaps are pretty serious about continuing their partnership with the Esks.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Brain fart on my part that it wasn't a national team game.

Still - for games that matter, Edmonton simply can't match the numbers of active supporters, who're used to cheering week in, week out, that will come out in Toronto or Montreal for a game. That, to me, is the main part. The Mexicans will be loud, and it's up to the active supporters (the V's) to be there in the greatest number possible, and that's not likely for Edmonton in the semi-final round.

Every city has its pros and cons. Since none of us has any power over where any of the matches will be scheduled, it's pointless to argue about which city can do a better job since all it does is create animosity between us.

Edmonton will get a MNT qualifier (hopefully more) and the we'll do everything we can to properly cheer on the team. Just like the Toronto guys will and the Montreal guys and the Vancouver guys. If I can make it out East I will, just like I hope any Eastern Vs that can make the trip out west will do so as well.

Let's cut the crap and help each other out to grow this group. The funner we make our presence at games and the more visibility we get, the better.

Quick question though. Should we contact the CSA to ensure that any opposition team fans in Canada are not able to get a large section of seats together? Spread them out I say.

quote:Originally posted by River City

Every city has its pros and cons. Since none of us has any power over where any of the matches will be scheduled, it's pointless to argue about which city can do a better job since all it does is create animosity between us.

Edmonton will get a MNT qualifier (hopefully more) and the we'll do everything we can to properly cheer on the team. Just like the Toronto guys will and the Montreal guys and the Vancouver guys. If I can make it out East I will, just like I hope any Eastern Vs that can make the trip out west will do so as well.

Let's cut the crap and help each other out to grow this group. The funner we make our presence at games and the more visibility we get, the better.

Quoted For Truth! This should be stated more often in these threads where the discussion of a particular game degenerates into regional garbage. The enemy is the OTHER country and their fans.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Well done but my point is still the same, the crowds in Canada for U-20 friendlies are pretty impressive so using the 2008 Argentina game as an example of bad support from Toronto is a pretty weak argument.

Lets not make this into another Toronto vs. Edmonton debate. I myself have no link to Toronto and other than the fact that its close to me I really don't care whether the Mexico game is in Toronto or not. But my point is let say the game was in Edmonton.

After tickets were on sale for a month for this match they had sold 20,000 (I think not 100% sure on that one). So If we had 20,000 Canadian fans after a month, you can be sure Mexicans will also have picked up 20,000 tickets by then. Then you have a 50-50 atmosphere which isn't what we want. I want the game to be in St. John's personally, but any where that has a pro-Canadian atmosphere is fine by me. I wasn't bashing Edmonton at all in fact I think that its a good thing they are starting to build up an interest in football there, but right now isn't the time to have WCQ there IMO, because this is such an important WCQ cycle for us and the teams needs our support.

Anyways no offense was meant towards Edmonton or any of the Edmonton V's.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

After tickets were on sale for a month for this match they had sold 20,000 (I think not 100% sure on that one). So If we had 20,000 Canadian fans after a month, you can be sure Mexicans will also have picked up 20,000 tickets by then. Then you have a 50-50 atmosphere which isn't what we want.

Do you expect the 20k Canadians, mostly from Edmonton, to be as loud as the 20k Mexicans who for the most part will have actively travelled to see their team? There will always be a lot of Mexicans. The CSA needs to make sure that there's the most *loud* Canadians. Soccer moms and little girls, to quote a previous message, won't do much for pro-Canadian atmosphere.

They'd mobilize the Princess Pats in the highly improbable event of 20,000 Mexicans trying to enter the city. I think we have a few brown ringers posting here. Leafdolfan, if you don't want to dis Edmonton, then stop posting about Edmonton as your take on the situation just ticks me off.

They'd mobilize the Princess Pats in the highly improbable event of 20,000 Mexicans trying to enter the city. I think we have a few brown ringers posting here. Leafdolfan, if you don't want to dis Edmonton, then stop posting about Edmonton as your take on the situation just ticks me off.

Point Taken- just stating an opinion I could be very wrong

I just received the annual notification of Stadium events as I live close to Commonwealth and there are two tentative dates for soccer this year.

Friday, July 18 and Wednesday, October 15.

So would the July match be Canadian MNT friendly or another club friendly? Or was that all the info given...

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

So would the July match be Canadian MNT friendly or another club friendly? Or was that all the info given...

At the half they interviewed the Duz and he mentioned that as long as attendance was good it would make sense, for all parties, that when the Whitecaps brought a high profile international club to Vancouver that they play a second game in Edmonton as well.

Sounds good to me as long as its not a crap team like middlesbrough

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20080514/EDM_beckham_080514/20080514/?hub=EdmontonHome

Play the video, there's a brief bit with the Vs section in there yelling Pu-to. And the Red and White checkered banner is in the background when they interview the little kid.

BTW, we were cheering for the Whitecaps, not for Beckham.

Good on ya :)

How fantastic an experience for Randy Edwini-Bonsu. Turned 18 last month, named player of the tournament on their trip to Germany, then has to deal with a 200+ lb train running him from behind in front of 37,000 hometown fans in his debut.

Great stuff!!! Niendorf's youngsters are going to make an impact on our national teams.

Unfortunately Edwini-Bonsu got hurt in the Caps first PDL game. I'm not sure how serious it is but hopefully he can return soon.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/schedule/match05180801.aspx

Would it really have been too much to ask for CTV to mention that the Galaxy (not just Beckham) were in Edmonton to play WHITECAPS...also that Beckham and his pals LOST? How about that girl proposing to Sh*tty Spice, eh? How pathetic.

Archived