Whitecaps v Galaxy Pt. II [R]

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the game there were various concessions set up to sell team shirts. They were all Beckam and almost all were sold when the game ended. I guess the field looked as bad on Tv as in person. The preferred color of grass is green not brown. I thought Van was by far the better team on the day

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Am I blinded by local bias when I say that Adrian Cann should be given a call up to one of these upcoming MNT friendlies? I haven't seen anybody in the USL (or MLS) trouble him.

I'd even give Serge a call as the third keeper given our current situation back there.

I agree with you on Cann, but your opinion of Serge is definitely local bias!

If Cann is that good, I hope he moves up to the MLS or Europe soon. Not questioning his talent but I would be concerned if we need to rely on USL-1 centre backs for WCQ. We need to have players that play day in, day out against quality forwards. So he may have the talent to play, but for me he is lacking the experience against quality forwards.

I hope that TFC see that game as evidence that they need to put out their best starting XI against the Whitecaps and Impact this summer. That being said, Serge has shown both tonight and last year with TFC that he is still very shaky, inexperienced, and unreliable. I have nothing against him, but he is well down on the Canadian depth chart and will need to improve dramatically to ever get a shot at even MNT 3rd-keeper status. I can't really comment on Cann, but I do believe that Canada is and must be past the point of having to rely on USL-1 defenders for WCQ.

I thought Cann looked good. Not sure he would start for the national team, but certainly the Mo "there aren't enough Canadians who can play in MLS" argument takes another beating when you see him play. Given that Cann is a Toronto boy, TFC overlooking him for other USL defenders that are certainly no better makes the recent roster quota reduction look even more self-serving.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

Was a good game. My only concern is an atmosphere like that for Canada-Mexico. Plus 37,000 for Becks translates to something like 25,000 for Canada which isn't good enough.

If Canada ends up playing Mexico in Edmonton, there will be a strong Mexican contigent of fans as there was for the U-20 game against New Zealand.

We ended up with a pretty good V's section at the game last night- 18 people, 3 drums, 1 whistle, but we'll definitely need more support for the next Canada game. Unfortunately we were in section QQ which was behind the goal line and not as visible. Better section will be needed for next time.

quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

Was a good game. My only concern is an atmosphere like that for Canada-Mexico. Plus 37,000 for Becks translates to something like 25,000 for Canada which isn't good enough.

You can scarcely get a USL-sized crowd for our U20's out east and you have the gall to say that 37,000 isn't good enough?

How fantastic an experience for Randy Edwini-Bonsu. Turned 18 last month, named player of the tournament on their trip to Germany, then has to deal with a 200+ lb train running him from behind in front of 37,000 hometown fans in his debut.

Great stuff!!! Niendorf's youngsters are going to make an impact on our national teams.

Good game. It was worth the drive from and back to Calgary even with all the nighttime construction slowing things down.

I was surprised by the pitch. The goal areas at both ends were much better than the middle half of the field. I was hoping for better. It will be better by time the MNT gets here.

The track around does keep you away from the field more than I like. I heard the whistle from the V's section.

The crowd seemed to cheer for all good plays and goals. TFC had better take the Caps (and Impact!) seriously. Vancouver really played their best game so far this year. They looked very aggressive. Too many back passes in the box, should have shot more I thought.

If the MNT game against Mexico is played there on a weekend I think it will pull in 35,000+.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

You can scarcely get a USL-sized crowd for our U20's out east and you have the gall to say that 37,000 isn't good enough?

Not that I agree with the first comment but I challenge you to find an U-20 friendly that was played in the last 10 years that drew more than 11 000 like that 2007 Argentina friendly at BMO. I<m not sure you<ll find many.

I can offer - second hand from a couple of CSA blokes in attendance - that the Galaxy had a walk-about on the pitch at 11 am and were very, very concerned about the quality of the turf. That is certainly the worst it has ever been. Commonwealth usually has wonderful grass, but the weather around here has been pretty poor.

Anything before the May long-weekend in Edmonton is a crap shoot. I don't think it is fair to now compare grass to Field Turf based on last night. I have played extensively on Field Turf, and my opinion is this: give me a GOOD grass pitch every time, but for most areas of Canada, Field Turf is an excellent alternative. I would have preferred playing at Clarke next door than on Commonwealth yesterday...by late June? Commonwealth, please.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I thought Cann looked good. Not sure he would start for the national team, but certainly the Mo "there aren't enough Canadians who can play in MLS" argument takes another beating when you see him play. Given that Cann is a Toronto boy, TFC overlooking him for other USL defenders that are certainly no better makes the recent roster quota reduction look even more self-serving.

Playing well against an unmotivated LA Galaxy side - a crap team on a good day - without its two most potent attackers is hardly a ringing endorsement for Cann's MLS worthiness.

watched the game here...same opinions as most of you - serge is fun to watch but a little dodgy on crosses and positioning - cann is OK - solid usl - potential for starting 11 in MLS i am not thinking he is the next coming or anything like some of you - we already have serioux if you want a north american based player there, and he is proven and a part of the core team already

crowd was encouraging in numbers and spirit - awful pitch, though - embarrassing for all of canadian soccer imho - so was the 50-50 draw and the music clips and the other PA sound bites

caps have some great young players coming though - the bolivian (arze?)looks fun and hirano is quite solid and mobile despite his age

i also agree that TFC will have their hands full and may lose at least the game in vancouver if they dont field their best 11

and as for the toronto game - what are people's guesses for attendance for the caps-tfc in toronto tilt?

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Playing well against an unmotivated LA Galaxy side - a crap team on a good day - without its two most potent attackers is hardly a ringing endorsement for Cann's MLS worthiness.

I wasn't basing my assessment of him on the quality of the opposition, but on the actual talent, skill and athleticism he provided. I'm sure Donovan & Ruiz would cause him problems, but that's also the case for every central defender in the league, including TFC's.

Certainly he looked a better option for MLS than either of the two donkeys LA fielded at CB last night, and I don't just base that on last night's excruciating performance. Yallop moved Jazic into the CB role last year for a reason, I wonder how long it will take Gullit to figure it out.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Not that I agree with the first comment but I challenge you to find an U-20 friendly that was played in the last 10 years that drew more than 11 000 like that 2007 Argentina friendly at BMO. I<m not sure you<ll find many.

Well gosh that was a challenge. I didn't have to look too hard to find that Edmonton drew more than that for a U20 friendly vs Brasil.

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2450

I don't want to turn this into another Edmonton as host debate but the post by the fellow in Kingston was bull****.

For a raining Tuesday night, I thought the attendance was fantastic.

Different type of crowd though. Much more soccer moms and teenage girls. The die-hard soccer fans stayed away - on surface this game just wasn't appealing. Totally different market for a Canada-Mexico game.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

I've been to two of the first three matches, including Montreal, and I can say he's been very, very solid for the Caps.

Archived