Canada chants thread

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by leafdolfan

I think we need to stop getting away from chants and get more songs.

Harder to coordinate, but sounds much better. Top European teams have many more songs than chants and Canada should follow.

I agree here. We need an anthem type song. I do not mean 'O Canada'.

1) It must be recognizable. (to most people)or at least a song sheet handed out.

2) It should be able to be whistled. Those songs seem to stick in my head longer.

I am personally not a big fan of changing lyrics to match players names for this 'anthem'. This style can be for other songs. Maybe take a recognizable tune and make it about the team/sport in general.

Thoughts???

quote:Originally posted by Niagara Hammer

1) It must be recognizable. (to most people)or at least a song sheet handed out.

2) It should be able to be whistled. Those songs seem to stick in my head longer.

I am personally not a big fan of changing lyrics to match players names for this 'anthem'. This style can be for other songs. Maybe take a recognizable tune and make it about the team/sport in general.

Thoughts???

If we're looking for something very canadian.

Home For a rest - spirit of the west. It's catchy as ****, and the chorus would sound good chanted- maybe it could be a home game thing. Granted is has nothing to do with footy and everything to do with drinking 'til you can't feel feelings. I also think if we wanted to change lyrics we could use this as a pretty good chant to take the piss out of jamaicans.

Barrett's privateers - stan rogers - very catchy and as long as a few people know the verses the rest just repeats its self. I don't know about people in the other part of the country but in halifax they pretty much issue you these lyrics with your birth certificate and expect you to the lead the band by the time you apply for your driver's licence. Could even be done with a megaphone for the verse part and the chorus everyone will know after one pass around.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G-PQbdmQRwc&feature=related

Oh, the year was 1778,

( "How I wish I was in Sherbrook now!")

A letter of mark came from the King

To the scummiest vessel I’d ever seen.

(CHORUS)

God damn them all!

I was told we’d cruise the seas for American gold.

We’d fire no guns, shed no tears.

I’m a broken man on a Halifax Peer,

The last of Barrett’s Privateers.

quote:Originally posted by Niagara Hammer

Thoughts???

You mean like Heart of Gold which we basically reached consensus on earlier in this thread? Some of you keep reposting the same songs that have already been posted here too.

Read the other pages in this thread please people or else we're going to keep starting from scratch.

Guest speedmonk42

The Allez Robert song also works for DeRo.

Simple, easy for people.

Not sure it was mentioned already.

Have you guys ever heard this chant? Based on "I will Survive"

I've heard it alot at Portugal and spain games. Everytime they score at home. It sounds good and very easy to get the whole crowd into it. They also do it before the teams come out for the national anthem.

I have to agree with Soju. "Heart of Gold" by Neil Young was already chosen as the "Canadian anthem" in another thread a while ago. It will be sung in the 86th minute of the match, in honour of the team that qualified for the World Cup in that year.

All that being said, if we have to chose a Stan Rogers song, it has to be Northwest Passage.:D

quote:Originally posted by Sébastien

I have to agree with Soju. "Heart of Gold" by Neil Young was already chosen as the "Canadian anthem" in another thread a while ago. It will be sung in the 86th minute of the match, in honour of the team that qualified for the World Cup in that year.

All that being said, if we have to chose a Stan Rogers song, it has to be Northwest Passage.:D

Sorry I missed that consensus. Heart of gold it is.

If is sung, it must be sung before the match after the National anthems, Yes?

86 minute is fine and that could become a neat tradition. However, I think that before the match would be more inspiring.

lyrics

I want to live,

I want to give

I've been a miner

for a heart of gold.

It's these expressions

I never give

That keep me searching

for a heart of gold

And I'm getting old.

Keeps me searching

for a heart of gold

And I'm getting old.

I've been to Hollywood

I've been to Redwood

I crossed the ocean

for a heart of gold

I've been in my mind,

it's such a fine line

That keeps me searching

for a heart of gold

And I'm getting old.

Keeps me searching

for a heart of gold

And I'm getting old.

Keep me searching

for a heart of gold

You keep me searching

for a heart of gold

And I'm getting old.

I've been a miner

for a heart of gold.

^ Agreed in some sense. I understand the whole singing before the start of the match (after the anthems), but it seems to me that singing the same song twice (before and during the 86th minute) is kinda redundant a little.

So what do we do? Have a song for between the anthems and kick off and then sing Heart of Gold at the 86th minute? Or sing it twice?

The game's only in 18 days, these are important things that eneed ot be decided!:D

Heart of Gold wasn't chosen in another thread it was chosen in *this* thread just look at the previous pages durrpee dooo. As for when to sing it, isn't it obvious? Sing it with cucumbers held high at the 86th minute in honour of our finest triumph over CONCACRAP, and the soccer gods shall thank thee.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

Heart of Gold wasn't chosen in another thread it was chosen in *this* thread just look at the previous pages durrpee dooo. As for when to sing it, isn't it obvious? Sing it with cucumbers held high at the 86th minute in honour of our finest triumph over CONCACRAP, and the soccer gods shall thank thee.

Actually, Heart of Gold was chosen in another thread. It was simply transposed over to this one. You actually even wrote in it.

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14686&SearchTerms=heart,of,gold

That being said, no worries, I will be singing it loud and proud in Montreal, and before going to the game, we're stopping at a 24h fruits and vegetables stand that's right by the place we're staying to pick up a couple of cucumbers.

And finally, if you re-read my message, I never even mentionned the possibility of not singing this song at the 86th minute. All I brough into question was the singing of a song at the start of the match (although now that I think of it, isn't that more a club thing then international?). If done, should it be Heart of Gold (IMO it shouldn't, as that would take away from the "special effect" of singing it at the 86th minute)?

quote:Originally posted by theaub

I say we bust out some Maple Leaf Forever after the anthem.

The tune is recognizable, we would need lyric sheets. If every body brought 10 copies and pass them around it might just work. (Heart of Gold included, for the 86th minute)

But which version?

The original is too British

This one is not too shabby

Oh land of blue unending skies

Mountains strong and sparkling snow

a senses of freedom in the wind

for the emerald fields below

to thee we brought our hopes our dreams

for thee we stand together

our land of peace

where proudly flies

the maple leaf forever.

long may it wave and grace our home

in skies and stormy weather

within my heart above my home

The maple leaf forever

oh maple leaf around the world

you speak as you rise high above

of courage peace and quite strength

of the Canada that I love

remind us all our union vow

by ties we can not sever

bright flag revered on every ground

the maple forever

long may it wave and grace our home

in skies and stormy weather

within my heart above my home

The maple leaf forever.

Way back on page 4 or something, someone had a songsheet. Is this what we should use to pass out? I will bring about 25 with me to the game in Montreal and leave them on seats - I am in Sec. 117.

I will also add the instruction that Heart of Gold is to be sung in the 86th minute.

quote:Originally posted by superbrad

Maybe we should come up with a songsheet to pass out here, agree upon it, and they we'll coordinate passing out the same sheet all over the stadium.

What do you think?

Once upon a time (http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13421&whichpage=1) I tried to get people to agree on a list of songs/chants to put in a songbook. In post 20, I gave this link for my best effort (http://www.strw.leidenuniv.nl/~wiersma/stuff/songbook.pdf). I still believe in the songbook idea, but since I won't be there :(, I wasn't going to get involved. I recommend compiling a list of songs and chants (and agree on how many to include), and find a few dedicated people to distribute a songbook (I can make up a new one if you like - although it's not that hard).

The thing is some people are "leading" these chants. If you want a chant to be sung, you need to come on down to the front and help launch it yourself with the chant leaders.

Here's one for Derosario (to the tune of "Hey Baby"):

Dwayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyne Derosario OOH AAH

I wanna know-oh-oh-oh, oh oh oh, how'd you score that goal?

quote:Originally posted by Sébastien

Actually, Heart of Gold was chosen in another thread. It was simply transposed over to this one. You actually even wrote in it.

Oh yeah forgot about that one. Sorry you're right I'm wrong [B)]

a songbook is a nice idea in theory but it just isnt going to work on game day. 300+ halfway drunk V's arent going to be standing there reading from a songbook. real songs are just not going to happen. we do short, repetitive chants, and some of them are set to tunes/melody. they are easy to learn on the spot and spread quickly throughout the section.

many different ideas will get posted here but on game day its the short and simple chants that are most effective.

Archived