Nats give BMO Field Turf a Yellow Card

Gian-Luca

The Costa Rica game had decent enough advertising. The problem is that too many TFC fans are poseurs and are only it because TFC is the cool thing to do. It will take years of winning (and making World Cups) for the Canadian Nats to have that same amount of love. Now, if you want to bring up market over-saturation, I might buy into that argument.

As for the semi-final schedule. I have no problem with it. In order to grow the brand, the CSA needs to spread the matches around. One game in each of Toronto, Montreal and Edmonton sounds about right to me. Sure, Jamaica in TO is optimal, but the gauntlet has been thrown down to the V's and Canadian supporters to make sure we out-sing those bastards cheering for the other team. As long as we can make the south end OUR section, I think we can do okay. If anything, TFC and the Impact probably screwed over the CSA for schedule home games on FIFA dates.

As for the turf: hatred for field turf is illogical. It is the equivalent of insisting on taking Advil instead of generic Ibuprofen.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by SilverSamurai

1st off, as has been mentioned, numerous times, the problem w/ the Tico game was that their was no advertising. I only knew about it from the RPB board. 2ndly , they ticket prices were anything but cheap. The only cheap section was the south end where all the Canadian supporters were. We were able to get chants going and unlike the U-20 game, were all together in a spot and not spread out.

Interesting to hear that because I felt that there was an unprecedented amount of advertsising for that cost rica game. So much so that that the ads were almost getting annoying. While driving to work every morning for several weeks, I could hear the ads for that game on the Fan 590. As far as prices, the only prices for soccer that I ever found to be on the extarvagant side would have been those championsworld games. Other than that, i cannot think of prices that were over the top for any game that O attended ( ie.: GC, WCQ, Tor, Lynx, Impact, Fifa friendlies, etc). I dont recall exactly what I paid for the CRC freindly, but I do not recall it as out line.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

As for the semi-final schedule. I have no problem with it. In order to grow the brand, the CSA needs to spread the matches around. One game in each of Toronto, Montreal and Edmonton sounds about right to me. Sure, Jamaica in TO is optimal, but the gauntlet has been thrown down to the V's and Canadian supporters to make sure we out-sing those bastards cheering for the other team. As long as we can make the south end OUR section, I think we can do okay. If anything, TFC and the Impact probably screwed over the CSA for schedule home games on FIFA dates.

Massive Attack you are correct,

I spoke with CSA General Secretary, Peter Montopoli today regarding the Voyageurs Cup (not much to report on that front), and I asked him what his view was on the Voyageurs having a supporters section for all of our World Cup Qualifying matches. He stated that he was "strongly in favour of this."

Check my post under the St V match thread for more details....

Watching the ball bounce all over the place at today's TFC-KC game takes me back to NASL games at Empire Stadium and Kingdome. It does seem unnatural. It could be an advantage, but it could be a psychological distraction as well. I agree it is moronic to play Jamaica at BMO; 8 to 10,000 "passport of convenience" Canadians cheering for Jamaica will make it disheartening for our players. BMO should get Honduras, Edmonton gets Mexico and the Jamaican game should go somewhere less conventional...(St. John's, St John, Winnipeg, etc.) We have to be less politically correct and more adversarial during games that matter. Making it tough for opposing fans to get to games should be a consideration.

quote:Originally posted by hectorj

I agree it is moronic to play Jamaica at BMO; 8 to 10,000 "passport of convenience" Canadians cheering for Jamaica will make it disheartening for our players. BMO should get Honduras, Edmonton gets Mexico and the Jamaican game should go somewhere less conventional...(St. John's, St John, Winnipeg, etc.) We have to be less politically correct and more adversarial during games that matter. Making it tough for opposing fans to get to games should be a consideration.

Amen.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Interesting to hear that because I felt that there was an unprecedented amount of advertsising for that cost rica game. So much so that that the ads were almost getting annoying. While driving to work every morning for several weeks, I could hear the ads for that game on the Fan 590. As far as prices, the only prices for soccer that I ever found to be on the extarvagant side would have been those championsworld games. Other than that, i cannot think of prices that were over the top for any game that O attended ( ie.: GC, WCQ, Tor, Lynx, Impact, Fifa friendlies, etc). I dont recall exactly what I paid for the CRC freindly, but I do not recall it as out line.

THe Fan590 is only 1 station though. Their are tons of other stations (not saying they should be put on all the stations, it's not feasible)

Anyways the tickets were expensive I remember, with the exception of south end. Also the CSA lost it big time by only advertising it with a few weeks anticipation. They should have sent it out early to the TFC season ticket holders as well as made some type of promotion during TFC matches.

I might be wrong on the pricing but I think it was the same pricing as the premium TFC games. It wasn't 1 single thing, but many different factors contributed to the lackluster crowd.

As for Jamaica in TO... man... as long as its not during Caribbana weekend, we have a chance at outchanting/singing them. But I agree, should be Honduras in TO, Jamaica in Montreal...

If it's during Caribbana weekend... may God help us all...

IMO, they should somehow bundle it with the TFC seasons...would help to insure a pro-Canadian crowd.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

What is astro-ice? There is no such thing. I'm not saying field turf is better than grass. But I watch TFC play on it every week to a sold out house and it looks fine to me.

You wrecked you post with this response. You really need the think harder about what he is saying.

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkaloneCanadian hockey players would want to play home matches where their support was the greatest. Edmonton is universally recognized as having the best ice in the world. How many Canada Cup matches were played there? Zero, if I recall correctly.

Oh yeah, for Paul Stalteri, I don't recall Wayne Gretzky ever bitching about playing in a venue.

Wrong. Edmonton hosted Canada in matches in '81 and '84. You seem to forget that there was a time when the Canada Cup was held across Canada.

As for Gretzky, his international resume wouldn't hold up to Stalteri.

At the risk of making a few enemies here (never stopped me before) I am very wary of WC qualifiers at BMO.

After watching the TFC/KC game and hearing the TFC crowd grunting a barely audible O Canada and then watching the support the Canadian fighters (save Starnes) and GSP got and then the Habs fans singing O Canada I am not real confident in a Toronto pro Canadian crowd.

Toronto still seems to have an 80's mentality that the rest of Canada has outgrown. Hell, ten years ago the national anthem was booed in Mtl and now Toronto is lapping up table scraps from Buffalo. BUFFALO, What a joke!

Please, guys in TO, prove me wrong. Get yourselves organized and rabidly out cheer those ungrateful passport of convenience scumbags and make it a real home field advantage for the boys. Otherwise if the usual happens I'll be hoping TO doesn't ever see another MNT game and I suppose so will the players, FieldTurf or no.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

At the risk of making a few enemies here (never stopped me before) I am very wary of WC qualifiers at BMO.

After watching the TFC/KC game and hearing the TFC crowd grunting a barely audible O Canada

Joe, while I agree that playing the Jamaica match at BMO is a risky proposition, suggesting that there is a lack of patriotism amongst TFC fans based upon them not singing the national anthem for a regular season game as loud as a crowd in Montreal for a playoff game in an enclosed arena (where the sound doesn't have room the travel like it does in an out-door venue) doesn't make sense to me. The Montreal crowd was probably louder in general (at least until they saw the Carey Price was stinking the joint out), not just because it was indoors but also because playoff games usually have louder more passionate crowds then those at regular season games.

I was at the TFC game yesterday, the sight of 20,000 Canadians holding up their scarves and singing O Canada was great to see. It may not have been loud as last week but it definitely happened. In fact I can remember thinking at the time that I hope these people remember their patriotism when Canada plays here again. A lot won't, that's my fear, but it's the same fear I have for just about every big Canadian city, and it has little do with anthem singing at professional sports regular season vs. playoff games.

After watching the TFC/KC game and hearing the TFC crowd grunting a barely audible O Canada and then watching the support the Canadian fighters (save Starnes) and GSP got and then the Habs fans singing O Canada I am not real confident in a Toronto pro Canadian crowd.

Toronto still seems to have an 80's mentality that the rest of Canada has outgrown. Hell, ten years ago the national anthem was booed in Mtl and now Toronto is lapping up table scraps from Buffalo. BUFFALO, What a joke!

Please, guys in TO, prove me wrong. Get yourselves organized and rabidly out cheer those ungrateful passport of convenience scumbags and make it a real home field advantage for the boys. Otherwise if the usual happens I'll be hoping TO doesn't ever see another MNT game and I suppose so will the players, FieldTurf or no.

Quite frankly I find your post very insulting. Torontonians are very patriotic Canadians, regardless of whatever incorrect "80's mentality" you think we have here. We are not a bunch of American wannabes who lust for anything and everything from south of the border. People in this city bleed just as red as anyone from Edmonton, Montreal, or any other city in this country.

As for the TFC game itself, anyone who's been to BMO would be able to tell you that sound doesn't carry well in that stadium. It takes a lot of supporters to carry chants, and it's even more difficult to keep everyone in sync without the amplifying effect of a roof. My advice to you would be to actually attend a TFC game before you come up with any bold, misinformed conclusions. Until you stand alongside us, you have no business commenting on our patriotism.

Are you for real?

The Oh Canada sung at BMO Field every week is on par or above any other stadium or arena in Canada. Last week Lenarduzzi was stunned by the crowd immediately following the singing of the national anthem, and even said as much in the broadcast.

Of all the things to pick on the Toronto crowd for, you chose the one that supports your argument the least.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Wrong. Edmonton hosted Canada in matches in '81 and '84. You seem to forget that there was a time when the Canada Cup was held across Canada.

And look what happened in '81. Must be you Ukrainians in Edmonton. The Jamaicans of Ice Hockey.

You're correct. And hey, I was 7 at the time, cut me a break. But none of the deciding games were held there according to wikipedia. I suspect because Edmonton fans sit on their hands. A much better reason than turf why Commonwealth shouldn't get a WCQ match.

We shall see. I hope I'm wrong but I'm preparing for a Jamaican crowd. If TO can muster the support for that qualifier like they support TFC (sellout, noise and atmosphere) I'll be the first to come here and admit it (and be happy to be wrong), otherwise I'm preparing to be disappointed.

No excuses for game time, ticket prices, CSA marketing etc. It's time for TO to put up or shut up.

I stand behind everything else I said.

I can't wait to see Canada play Jamaica at BMO. I'm sure the sound from the CSA-hired steeldrum band will be fantastic! :D

BTW, I assume that somebody has told the CSA that they should not be hiring a steeldrum band, or doing anything to make the Jamaicans "feel at home" at BMO? Besides, as TFC's largest, loudest and most hardcore supporters group, Tribal Rhythm Nation can do it for them! ;)

Efforts should be made to try to sell as many tickets as possible to Canada supporters before any Jamaica supporters even get a chance at them. Giving TFC STH first shot is somewhat helpful, but not entirely. Not all of them will buy, some could be Jamaica supporters or willing to buy on their behalf, and we all know that the STHs include scalpers who will use the password and their hacking software to grab alot of tickets in any internet advance sale and then sell them to anyone.

I would love to see MLSE identify the scalpers and either take their seasons away, or atleast "forget" to call them or e-mail the password when selling WCQ tickets. Unfortunately, MLSE is a pure money whore, so they won't bother. Doing an advance sale for the Voyageurs (password posted here) might go unnoticed by others and accomplish abit. Otherwise, the best solution is to either get the CSA/TFC to reserve several huge blocks of tickets (larger than what a Voyageurs section alone would be) that can be quietly sold to Canadians through various channels, or get pro-Canada TFC STH to buy big and look for people to sell their surplus tickets to.

With a bit of scheming (secret ticket sales and busting scalpers), I think a 75-80% pro-Canada crowd is possible even in Toronto. If not, then just have the police station drug-sniffing dogs at every gate and we'll see how many of those rastafarian bastards are willing to risk having their nuts bitten off by a German Shepherd!

I'm not surprised at the Saputo decision just disappointed BMO doesn't have real grass. I won't be surprised at the turnout at BMO if they end up playing Jamaica (for the Jamaicans in Toronto), regardless how good or bad it is. It couldn't be any worse than the CR friendly. But I'll be there and I'll drag as many people with as I can.

Now I hope I can get my hands on tix for StV&G in Montreal. A Voyageurs section will be amazing. Congrats to Montreal for building a proper stadium our boys can be proud to play on.

quote:Originally posted by SilverSamurai

Their are some RPBs on the board (myself included) considering making the trip to Montreal for the WCQ...

I should hope so. Show us you're not England supporters in disguise. (But hey, whatever you do with your full size Owen Hargreaves cut-out in the privacy of your own home is your business).

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

I should hope so. Show us you're not England supporters in disguise. (But hey, whatever you do with your full size Owen Hargreaves cut-out in the privacy of your own home is your business).

Actually I'm not even English, so no love for England here (although I would like to go there on vacation at some point) :)

I know some people were going to ask about organizing a trip to the RPB away team but their doesn't seem to be anything new as of yet.

However their are a good chunk of TFC supporters going to Montreal for the Canada Cup so that may bite off a few people. I do think Montreal from TO is possible as a same day trip.

quote:I do think Montreal from TO is possible as a same day trip.

That would be a sweet train ride, perhaps a "soccer special"(but perhaps too "English" for some around here.) Whatever way you get there, have fun!

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

As for Gretzky, his international resume wouldn't hold up to Stalteri.

This could be the most bizarre opinion ever written on this board. You must be just trying to wind us up, because no sane person could possibly make this argument. Comparing Stalteri to Gretzky is akin to comparing Stalteri to Ronaldinho (or Gretzky to Peter Zezel).

An e-mail I received this week from a high ranking CSA official:

quote:

Hi Duane

Hope all well

I can't speak to past WC campaigns but you can rest assured that the wants and needs of the coaches and players was the primary and exclusive factor in making our decision to play games where they will be played.

Economics was not considered at all as quite frankly what's the use of looking at economics if we don't get to the Hex round!!

Yes our discussion re: using your group as a catalyst of support has been considered and will be done. I have cc'd our (cut)

See you in red in Montreal!!

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

This could be the most bizarre opinion ever written on this board. You must be just trying to wind us up, because no sane person could possibly make this argument. Comparing Stalteri to Gretzky is akin to comparing Stalteri to Ronaldinho (or Gretzky to Peter Zezel).

In defence of Doyle, whose comment was directed at me, I think he was trying to say that you can't compare Gretzky and Stalteri (which I was doing). I think the wording was just reversed.

Archived