Yallop announces squads vs Honduras

Jarrek

quote:How does one justify leaving out a Premiership player in Jim Brennan by citing his inactivity, while including an unattached 17 year-old in Jamie Peters?
Don't you have to play a game in the Premier before being called a Premier player? I think the fact that he hasn't been close is an indication that he may not be good enough for that level...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a bit frustrating that we aren't bringing more than 18 players. There's a good chance that someone picks up a second yellow and can't play in Costa Rica, and we don't end up dressing the maximum number of players.

This is probably due to funding.

Not that we necessarily need to dress 18, but it just feels a bit cheap. [:I]

I have had my questions/concerns about Menezes' status but Yallop has seen enough of him (and obviously enough of those other knobs in central defence) to give him a place in the squad. If you are flying him in from all that way not to play him, that would be strange (any of you airline folks on this board could correct me if I am wrong about the length and time of his flight).

quote:sstackho posted:

Good point. But I hope we've lost Pizzolito's phone number.

Pizzolitto did not have a good game but neither did the other players. It was a team loss, we just were not ready. So stop finger pointing.

I like Nevio, but similar to Watson he's a bit of a "hoofer" (ie. kicking the ball a bit aimlessly up the field) even when he's playing as well as he can.

Menezes and De Vos are both better at distribution out of the back, and I predict our offense will become much improved if those two play, and that they will have as much of a positive, offensive impact for us as the inclusion of Radzinski will have (assuming of course that he's able to make the trip).

Guest Georgio

I would definately play Serioux over Imhoff. Serioux showed more of what he can offer (offensive threat with throw ins, not losing possession, not hiding or shying away from asking for the ball and getting stuck in) in one game then Imhoff has shown in the last year of being called up for quite a few more games (friendlies and WCQ). I think Serioux will be key to our success in having a rock solid center midfield if he starts and plays regularly.

I also believe that because Lars is simply a better keeper in every way, he should start whether he is playing first team football or not. The guy went into games on loan from Tottenham not having played first team football and got excellent reviews, why wouldn't he perform well internationally too, particularly when we have actually seen him perform under pressure for the Nats. If the fact that he is not playing 1st team football is so important to Yallop you would think he shouldn't have been called over Sutton or Kenny, because even coming off the bench he is still a player who is not playing first team football. So start the better keeper! He's always ready.

Lars

Stalteri DeVos Menezes Jazic

DeRo Deguzman Serioux Hume

Radz Occean

Hirshfeld

Stalteri Menezes deVos Jazic

Serioux

deGuzman

DeRosario Hume

Radzinski Occean

I kinda like this set-up.

- Am I the only one that thinks deVos should be on the right-center? Everyone else has switched Menezes and deVos on their line-ups.

- I think we should play Serioux a little behind the rest of the mid-field. We're always having balls played in behind our mids and it seems to draw our back four out of their shape.

- I'm not sure how Radz and Occean would fit together just yet, but they must be a better fit that Pesch and Radz... give us an option for a target man, and hopefully Occean charging through the defence will give Radz some time and space.

- If things go well.. have Hume and DeRo move a little farther forward as wingers. We could have four strikers rushing forward, with deGuzman providing some pace up the middle.. and Serioux watching our backs. :D Prolly a good thing I'm not the coach.. but it's fun to debate~!

uhoh... I'm starting to get excited again...

Definitely start Lars.

As long as Lars is having balls fired at him on a regular basis then I don’t care whether he is starting for his league team or not. I am quite sure that he is getting plenty of action in training and, hopefully, in reserve games. I may be wrong, but I don’t think that lack of first team action affects a keeper the same way it affects other players. If fact if Lars has ballooned to 300 pounds and has only one leg I would still give him the nod over Onstad.

I am also glad to see Menezes back, though I have this dreadful feeling he won’t start.

I would try this.

Hirschfeld

Stalteri

De Vos

Serioux

Jazic

De Rosario

De Guzman

Simpson

Hume

Radzinski

Peschisolido

Subs;

Onstad

Watson

Menezes

Imhoff

Hutchinson

Peters

Occean

Why not try Serioux in defence?, he can play defence and cant be any worse than what we have. Imhoff is invisible on the pitch. Simpson worked hard last game and looks up for it. More games will help him might as well put him in with a hopefully healthy De Guzman

Keep the strike force of Hume, DeRo, Radz and Pesch, that worked well against Belize. Sub in Occean if strike force is not working, sub in Menezes if we need more defensive cover, sub in Peters to shake things up and add some flare if were in a lull.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Question is - were the Impact players dropped, or simply not released this time given their upcoming playoff series (which I might just take the time to remind everyone that Watson's Charleston club were effectively eliminated from about 3 months ago).

this might answer your question. Its in a media release on the CSA web page regarding the Montreal 2-0 win over Edmonton.

..........The Montreal players will face the Rhinos in Rochester, this Friday evening at Frontier Field (7:35 pm, CKAC), before coming back to Claude Robillard Sports Complex to meet the Richmond Kickers, Sunday afternoon (4:00 pm, RDS, CJAD, CKAC). That will be the last game before the playoffs, with the Impact’s first post-season home game, against an opponent yet to be determined, set for Sunday, September 5 (7:00 pm).

quote:Originally posted by miguelbeta

I think...

<center>Onstad</center>

<center>Stalteri DeVos Menezes Jazic</center>

<center>DeRosario DeGuzman Imhof Hume</center>

<center>Radzinski Occean</center>

Bravo,those are my picks as well except for goal however.How does someone all the way from Columbia find the answer to the puzzle?

Honestly,I always liked a big target man to play alongside Radzinski.De Rosario will have a better game playing on the right again and is a better than having Simpson in on the left and Hume on the right.If Imhoff is not effective stopping the Honduran attack than Serioux should take his place before it's too late.

I miss big Kev more than Brennan or Bircham.We need him soon.He's a better choice than Watson even if McKenna is coming off an injury.

Also,keep Canadian doctors as far away from our team as possible.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

That is what I think would be best given the squad that Yallop has called. But knowing Yallop, I have a feeling he'll insert Watson and Pesch:(

I think Yallop might surprise us and start Menezes.He must read this board and realise how unanimous it is to keep Watson off the field(or the bench for that matter).

I'd like to see Pesch brought in around min. 60

No real complaints besides Brennan. To be honest I'd start Simpson ahead of DeRosario at left mid. I fear this squad means we're going to start DeRo out of position again and insist on playing a target forward (Occean) again instead of the DeRo-Radz combo that has looked the most effective of any front pairing we've had recently. At least Hume can cross, so maybe Occean will get better service.

Menezes is a step up defensively (I'm assuming), but I still would like to see Atiba or Serioux in the back four. And DeRo and Hume are going to have to play a lot of defence if we're going to win the midfield battle IMO. Hope they're up for it. I know Hume will be full of running and DeRo tracks back well for a forward, but I don't know . . .

cheers,

matthew

A much better roster at-a-glance than the one we had for Guatemala, and I was completely suprised with the Menezes inclusion. I thought he was pretty much done for the nat'l side, but I guess desperate times call for desperate measures. (Not that I think Menezes' inclusion is a 'desperate measure', but... ah you guys know what I mean)

The key to this match is containing Guevara, who is the engine of the Honduran midfield. He's probably the best player in MLS this season, and can hurt a team in so many ways. I'm not sure who our best man-marker is, but he needs to stick to Guevara like glue for the entire 90, and let him know that he's playing a Canadian team that will not give him an inch.

If anyone has seen a lot of Guevara, it's Yallop, so he should already have a plan in place to contain him. Of course, the same could have been said about Ruiz, but then we had two A-League defenders trying to contain perhaps the most dangerous striker in the region. I feel much more comfortable knowing that JDV and (possibly) Menezes will be back there, along with Jazic and a (most likely) rejuvenated Stalteri.

Yallop announces roster for World Cup qualifiers against Honduras, Costa Rica

OTTAWA (CP) - Canadian men's head coach Frank Yallop named his 18-player roster Friday for upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Honduras, with 13 players coming from the team which lost 2-0 to Guatemala in the opening game of the semifinal round earlier this month.

Returning to the squad after missing the Guatemala game due to suspension is midfielder/forward Iain Hume from Tranmere Rovers. Defender Tony Menezes, who has been playing in China with Greentown Hangzhou, has also been selected. Goalkeeper Lars Hirschfeld, recently signed by Dundee United, also makes a return to the squad.

Both Tomasz Radzinski and Jason deVos, who missed the Guatemala game due to injury, are called in, while Julian de Guzman has recovered quickly from his hamstring injury and is available.

The Canadians will play Honduras on Sept. 4 in Edmonton and against Costa Rica on Sept. 8 in San Jose, Costa Rica.

"The next two games are obviously crucial ones and I am looking forward to having the players available for a longer period than we did in Vancouver," said Yallop. "We are very eager to get going again."

The Canadians arrive in Edmonton on Monday and begin training at the Victoria Soccer Club on Tuesday.

-

(Secondary positions listed in parentheses)

Goalkeepers: Pat Onstad, San Jose Earthquakes, MLS; G Lars Hirschfeld, Dundee United, PL.

Defenders: Jason deVos, Ipswich Town, English First Division; (M) Paul Stalteri, Werder Bremen, German Bundesliga; (M) Ante Jazic, FC Kuban, Russian Premier; Mark Watson, Charleston Battery, A-League; (M) Adrian Serioux, Millwall, English First Division; Tony Menezes, Greentown Hangzhou, Chinese Second.

Midfielders: Daniel Imhof, St. Gallen, Swiss First Division; Atib Hutchinson, Helsingborg, Swedish Premier; Julian de Guzman, Hannover 96, German Bundesliga; Josh Simpson, Millwall, English First Division; Jaime Peters, unattached; Iain Hume, Tranmere Rovers, English Second Division;

Forwards: Tomasz Radzinski, Fulham, English Premier; Paul Peschisolido, Derby County, English First Division; Dwayne de Rosario, San Jose Earthquakes, MLS; Olivier Occean, Odd Grenland, Norwegian First Division.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

It's a bit frustrating that we aren't bringing more than 18 players. There's a good chance that someone picks up a second yellow and can't play in Costa Rica, and we don't end up dressing the maximum number of players.

This is probably due to funding.

Not that we necessarily need to dress 18, but it just feels a bit cheap. [:I]

Well, Article 24 of the Copmn Regs says only 18 can be listed for any match (although it can be changed up to the match). I'm sure that contingencies exist for replacements if necessary, but no reason to name them now. I'm sure that if someone is a bit dodgy injury-wise, a possible replacement would be on the plane to Costa Rica.

I'm sure that Sutton would be on the bench if it weren't for the A-League play-offs, I'm sure that Franky's reasoning is that it's not worth depriving him of this just to be insurance for Pat between the pipes.

I'm still fantasizing about seeing Lars start, but I stifle that because it means negative thoughts, even if it is negatively positive, or positively negative, or whatever. Enough. Maybe there will be at least one Damascus experience in the coaching retinue in preparation camp from Monday on. Positive , happy thoughts only for the next week. Even thinking positive thoughts about a certain striker!

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

I think Yallop might surprise us and start Menezes.He must read this board and realise how unanimous it is to keep Watson off the field(or the bench for that matter).

Any reason to think that Yallop reads this page?? I am sure that many of the media do their homework here but I ma not so sure about the direct coaching staff.

Archived